Anti biotic zithromax for head tilt.

Please feel free to ask advice on health issues, but remember, this is not a substitute for taking your rabbit to the vets if it is sick.
Rabswood

Anti biotic zithromax for head tilt.

Post by Rabswood »

Head tilt I believe is caused by e-cuniculi and treated with Panacur and Metacam over a 28 day period. However if your bunny does not respond it may be worth trying an antibiotic called zithromax. See link.

http://www.onthewonk.com/?p=2.Headtilt+ ... u:Siouxsie

My bun Oxo has had e-cuniculi 3 times but it has always affected his back legs not his head. After his last bout he did not respond to Panacur and Metacam and was left disabled without the use of his back legs. He also had steroid injections but these made no difference. If I had known about zithromax I would have definitely given it a go. He has been disabled for too long now and has severe muscle wastage in his back legs so there is no point in trying it now. Just to add that despite his disabilities he is a happy lively bunny.

Mummy to the Rabsville Bunnies

Pledge a Pound Jewellery10% Pot Total £4.00
Donated via paypal 8/11/13

Oxo Rabswood a little fighter!
Hunnybunny2007

Re: Anti biotic zithromax for head tilt.

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

Zithromax helped Dodger a lot, I've also used it with bunnies that have had abscesses, it does seem to make a huge difference :)
Rabswood

Post by Rabswood »

I was only offered Panacur, I had to ask for metacam! I also asked for steroid injections. Vets just don't know enough about rabbits and some of them have the face to say they are 'fully trained and qualified' - this was a PDSA vet recently regarding Big's snuffles when I asked for another anti-biotic as Baytril doesn't work. I wish when Oxo was not responding I had known about this, he might still have the use of his little leggies.

Hunnybunny2007

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

Dodger is currently back on Zithromax and Panacur due to a relapse :( He's gone quite wobbly again :(

Would Oxo benefit from acupuncture, I know that Theo from The Rabbit Retreat has had some amazing results with this :)

This is Brie http://pledgeapound.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3003
Rabswood

Post by Rabswood »

Have just seen this.

Oxo's health is stable now but sadly he has not had the use of his back legs for some time, all his back end has wasted away, very thin and scrawny and muscle wastage. Also for some reason he can only lay on one side. If he flips over he lays there helpless and stressed. I don't think I can do anything for him now apart from keep him clean, fed and stimulated? I wish vets had more knowledge and could suggest things to try. I wish in the early days when this happened I had known about Zithromax.

Hunnybunny2007

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

Rabswood wrote:Have just seen this.

Oxo's health is stable now but sadly he has not had the use of his back legs for some time, all his back end has wasted away, very thin and scrawny and muscle wastage. Also for some reason he can only lay on one side. If he flips over he lays there helpless and stressed. I don't think I can do anything for him now apart from keep him clean, fed and stimulated? I wish vets had more knowledge and could suggest things to try. I wish in the early days when this happened I had known about Zithromax.
A lot of vets are not keen to use meds that are not licensed for rabbits, I'm very fortunate to have vets that listen and are willing to try different things :)

Oxo is lucky to be in a loving home and getting the care he needs :)
Rabswood

Post by Rabswood »

I love my little man to bits, I just wish he had more mobility. It must be frustrating and boring for him.

Hunnybunny2007

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

Rabswood wrote:I love my little man to bits, I just wish he had more mobility. It must be frustrating and boring for him.
Would he be able to benefit from a cart? I've never had experience with using one, so I'm not sure if it would be suitable.

Digby my bridge bunny had lost the use of his back legs and dragged himself around, he was in a very bad state when he arrived, unfortunately he had other problems too and was only with me for a few months :(