Aviary set up

We all want the best for our bunnies, please feel free to ask advice or post pictures of your accommodation
Blackberry

Aviary set up

Post by Blackberry »

These are pics of the aviary set up after it had had the garden runs added and various other alterations done :)

The front view

And with the tarps added for covering the gardens at night

Dan and Clo's side (the bits often get moved around cos they enjoy a change)

Buttercup's side

hurricanhoney

Re: Aviary set up

Post by hurricanhoney »

I love your set ups.
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

Fab set-up :)
My OH is going to build an aviary in place of the present (old)runs which will be attached to the rabbit room. :) The rabbit room is brick half way up then timber and in addition to 2 run doors going into runs then into the garden, it has an access (human) door into my utility so when the little run doors are shut at night I can go in and out to see the buns direct from the house without going outdoors. :)

The rabbit room is the apex roof building. The bunnies are 2 "bridge" bunnies Chelsea and Sooty. (Chelsea lived to 11 and a half yrs and Sooty to 10yrs).
This is Chelsea and Coco inside the rabbit room (the ramp goes to a little door which opens into the run)The inside of the rabbit room is separated by mesh panels as bunlover has 2 sets of rabbits.
the old green fence and gate have since been replaced but you can see the half height run door I have to crawl through!- hence OH building a new aviary run :)

sue :)
Last edited by sdf76 on 20 Jul 2012 10:27, edited 2 times in total.
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

I love the bright blue paint on the hutch and the seaside/nautical decor :) -that has given me ideas for when we redo our set-up. Anywhere cheap for (fox-proof) mesh for aviary?
Hunnybunny2007

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

sdf76 wrote:I love the bright blue paint on the hutch and the seaside/nautical decor :) -that has given me ideas for when we redo our set-up. Anywhere cheap for (fox-proof) mesh for aviary?
I bought mine from EBay

Great set up Sara, you have some very lucky bunnies :) Dodger recognises the blue ;)
loppy ears

Post by loppy ears »

I love your set-ups they inspired me to move my pair out of the hutch into the kennel I used to look at the photos and think how lovely it would be to be able to actually sit in with the bunnies
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

the old runs have been taken down now as Coco is back in London with bunlover., and the new aviary will be started in the coming weeks so I would be glad of any hints and tips from those who have already built one please/
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

I just realised I never posted pics of the new rabbit aviary ! Which has been up for years now! I came on here to show a friend pics and realised I had forgotten to post any, so took some today. We no longer have any rabbits ( until bunlovers come to stay).

The aviary is made from 6ft x 3ft wooden framed panels meshed with small squared strong "foxproof" mesh.
It's about 8ft x 7ft but it was divided in half inside to accommodate 2 sets of rabbits, Hence there are two full height doorsand 2 sets of ramps with little wooden rabbit sized doors which are locked at night in winter. There are strong bolts on each aviary door but I do also tie up at night as an extra measure ( hence the green ribbon).
It is walk in height and paved with slabs which go just under the panels to prevent foxes burrowing in. The slabs are concreted between to stop bunny droppings getting stuck in the grooves and is much easier to clean and less dusty and dirty then concrete floor.

the aviary leads through a small door at the top of each ramp into the 2 individual parts of the rabbit room,(the apex building) which acts as a "hutch". The aviary is attached to a shed on one side, and the rabbit room at the back.

The blue plastic (cheap)shower curtains stop rain blowing in at the top of the aviary,and give shade on hot days. They are just on curtain wire attached to the interior of the wooden frame with hook and eye & they can be easily removed. There are several individual curtains so they can be drawn back as or if needed. They are not attached at the base and never all drawn( just for the picture) and are lifted above rabbit chewing height when rabbits are in residence..

The roof has meshed panels topped with 3inch profile corrugated pvc panels on top so is waterproof and has a 2inch slope for rainwater drainage.

My daughter bunlover has an aviary too, made from the same materials but hers is attached to the rabbit playhouse and is 3ft x 12ft.