Buttons

Furry friends that have passed.
Foofy

Buttons

Post by Foofy »

My dear Buttons unfortunately passed to the Rainbow Bridge on Monday 8th August, so unexpected and a great shock to me :(

Here is his story:-

Buttons was born on 18.2.10 so he was 6.5 years old. I adopted him from Southampton Rabbit Rescue in May 2010 so he was only a baby really. He had been at the Rescue with his Mum and his brothers and sisters, but all of them had already been adopted when I met him and he was left all on his own :(
He was originally called Smudge, I think because of the brown smudge on his nose, but because I had already had a rabbit and a cat called Smudge I decided to change his name. I decided to call him Buttons as he was a chocolate Dutch and it seemed to suit him.

Shortly after adopting him I started the bonding process of Buttons with Peter, I had already adopted Peter from Southampton Rabbit Rescue and he was lonely on his own, Peter was 3 at the time. The bond was quite easy and they took to each other straight away, although Peter was very much in charge always and never stopped humping Buttons over the years I thought they might stop one day but they didn't :)) :)) Even though Buttons ended up being a lot bigger than Peter, Peter was the boss. Although there was often humping they never ever fought and genuinely seemed to love each other very much even though 2 unrelated neutered bucks :x :x

In the first few years of his life Buttons never liked being touched or stroked, he didn't even like nose or head rubs, not from me anyway, only from Peter. Although he didn't like a stroke he was very friendly and whenever you put your hand in his cage, or picked him up he would lick your hands. During the last few years of his life every single time I picked him up he would give me a big kiss on my nose or face. I miss those bunny kisses so very much =(( =((

Buttons remainded a healthy bunny until earlier this year. when I saw him having trouble breathing, his nostrils were flaring. He had some tests done at the vets and it was discovered he had a respiratory infection (Bordetella) he was put on pain relief and several different antibiotics. He then improved a great deal and his breathing was almost back to normal. Unfortunately a few weeks ago his breathing worsened again and he had to go back on pain relief. He was booked in last Monday for another lung wash procedure where they try and get a sample of the mucus from the lungs for testing, and also a dental as we thought he had some sharp spurs and he wasn't eating his pellets properly. They did some xrays whilst he was under the anesthetic, and then started the lung wash but when they put the tube down into his lungs, a lot of blood came out and flooded his airways and he passed away under the GA there was nothing the vets could do they tried everything but to no avail :( =(( =(( The vet thinks he had developed a tumour on his lungs which he hit with the tube making it bleed. Of course we can't be 100% sure of this but it does seem to make sense and would of been why his breathing had worsened and the not eating his pellets properly was probably nothing to do with his teeth, I think it was because he wasn't feeling very well generally, although he was on Metacam for the last few weeks, so I hope that he wasn't in too much discomfort.

I brought Buttons home from the vets on Monday and we buried him in my garden the same evening.

It was all a bit sudden and very unexpected as we didn't know he had a tumour and he had, had the lung wash procedure done twice before successfully with no troubles.

Have fun at the Rainbow Bridge Buttons and I'm sure you'll meet up with Casper & Daisy there :x :x To loose 3 of my beloved bunnies all in a year has been extremely hard for me :( :( =(( =(( but I know they had a good life here and I loved them all dearly. Goodbye Buttons :x :x

Buttons

Buttons with Peter

One of my favourite photos of him :x :x
Imagenew sig by Sue Gibson, on Flickr
Hunnybunny2007

Re: Buttons

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

I'm so sorry Sue :ymhug: Buttons was a beautiful well cared for and much loved bunny, he was very lucky to have found both you and Peter to share his life with. binky free beautiful boy xx
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

I am so surprised to hear the sad news about Buttons. :( I hope it is of some comfort to know he passed away under anaesthetic and was on Metacam pain relief prior to that. It must be hard indeed to lose 3 bunnies in a year :( I am so sorry :( :ymhug:
binky free at the Bridge handsome Buttons .
sue x
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
Foofy

Post by Foofy »

Thanks Sue & Sue

I still can't quite believe it after a week :( Yes Sue it has been a relief in a way that he went whilst under the GA as he wouldn't have known anything about it, it just wasn't very nice for the vet and the nurses to loose him whilst on the operating table, the vet told me all the nurses were in tears :(

In a way, if it was a tumour it may have been the best thing in the long run for Buttons himself as he wouldn't have had very long left anyway and would have steadily declined until I had to make the decision to have him PTS :( just such a shock really to get that dreaded phone call, it was the 1st (and I hope the only) time that I have lost a bunny whilst under a GA.
Apache

Post by Apache »

Sue, that is such a lovely tribute to Buttons, he has had a lovely life with his friend Peter, and was such a handsome bunny.

RIP Buttons - enjoy your binkys xx

I can't imagine how hard it must be to lose 3 so close together, thinking of you xx
Foofy

Post by Foofy »

Apache wrote:Sue, that is such a lovely tribute to Buttons, he has had a lovely life with his friend Peter, and was such a handsome bunny.

RIP Buttons - enjoy your binkys xx

I can't imagine how hard it must be to lose 3 so close together, thinking of you xx
Thanks Apache, it hasn't been a good year for me and the bunnies :(