Mother and Baby bunnies

We love to share photos and stories about our furry friends
honeybunny

Mother and Baby bunnies

Post by honeybunny »

We have had a rabbit given in and its a bit of a sad tale
She had been owned by a lady who became too ill to care for her and 2 bucks so asked for us to take them.
The doe had previously had a large litter of babies but whilst waiting for a space with us the blooming owner put her back in with one of the bucks! :(

I was unaware of this so she went to a temp fosterer for 2 weeks before I collected, when the fosterer told me about the buck.
The lovely and large bun we named Fieldfare

ImageFieldfareb by Jill Woodward, on Flickr

two days after arriving with me she gave birth..to a huge litter although I will admit I've no idea how many as sadly keep finding the thin ones dead but numbers still don't drop by the numbers of deceased! I think she had at least 14 :-o
At present there are 9 surviving but one very weak. I can do nothing much to help as mummy bun doesn not know or trust me and is VERY territorial so it's a matter of waiting to see how many come out of nest. They are due to open eyes tomorrow
So here is the nest a few days back..please send vibes for thr weak ones

Imagefieldfaresbabiesaged2 days by Jill Woodward, on Flickr
Foofy

Re: Mother and Baby bunnies

Post by Foofy »

Oh wow thats a lot of babies! I do hope the rest will survive, poor Fieldfare thank you for taking her in xx
Imagenew sig by Sue Gibson, on Flickr
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

So sorry to hear of all the babies that didn't make it. I hope Fieldfare is OK and that some babies are still alive and thriving. Well done for rescuing her.
sue
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
Hunnybunny2007

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

That is such a big litter, at least it will be her last one. It must be so upsetting to find the ones that didn't make it =(( :(

I hope that the rest remain strong enough to make it, and that this year they find their forever homes along with their mum :)
honeybunny

Post by honeybunny »

Update

Well we still have 9 babies :)
I have assist fed the runt each day and Fieldfare has become quite relaxed about it. I know the little one wouldn't have made it without this help so right decision
Here is a pic of Runty a few days back fast asleep in my hand after a feed :x

Imagefieldfaresrunty baby by Jill Woodward, on Flickr
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

Aw bless...I hope they all continue to thrive .
sue
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
honeybunny

Post by honeybunny »

an update.
All 9 babies doing well and at the end of next week the 3 boys will have to be seperated..always hate taking the youngsters from mum :(