Bonding Jinx and Posy

We love to share photos and stories about our furry friends
Foofy

Bonding Jinx and Posy

Post by Foofy »

Been busy bonding Jinx and Posy, going well so far and I'm hoping they will soon be moving in together :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Imagenew sig by Sue Gibson, on Flickr
Apache

Re: Bonding Jinx and Posy

Post by Apache »

Aw - that's great news :x
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

That's super news ... fingers crossed it all continues to go well. :)
sue :)
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
MariasAnimalShelter

Post by MariasAnimalShelter »

Aww, how lovely to see them getting on together. :)
Foofy

Post by Foofy »

We have had a little trouble since these photos were taken :( :( twice when they were in the pen together I had to split them up as they were having a right old go at each other and fur was flying :( they are fine when in the seperate pens and sit/lay down by each other and sniff through the wire I think it's a dominance issue Jinx wants to be the dominant one and Posy doesn't want this :(

So today my husband has made a partition for Jinx's hutch so they can both go in his hutch together over night meaning they can spend even more time next to each other and I'm hoping things will improve. I really need for Posy to let Jinx be the boss, the trouble is she is over 3 years old and has always been on her own whereas Jinx was bonded with Daisy and I think Posy is having trouble, she didn't really know how to behave like a rabbit when I first got her and had never seen toys before but she has improved a great deal in the few months I've had her so I'm hoping they will be OK eventually.

I'll try and get a photo of the fab partition that can put in or out as needed and my hubby has also put a fixer in the hutch below (Peter & Buttons) in case I need it one day.

So hopefully can move Posy's dog cage she has been living in out of the shed now :)
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

Some rabbits never take to toys, that's nothing to worry about...Coco hated toys. Also perhaps it will take longer for her to get used to Jinx because she has never had any rabbit companionship. I think they will sort out their dominance issues in time but I think you're doing the right thing to prevent fights by separating them for the moment. In the first photo Jinx has his head below Posy which I believe is his way of showing dominance by saying "groom me" and in the second pic Posy has he head below Jinx and it looks as if he is actually allowing her dominance there by grooming her, so it seems they are still undecided about who will be boss. Hopefully the longer they spend near one another they will get used to one another and bond.:)
Hunnybunny2007

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

Sometimes it takes a little longer, especially if Posy hasn't been used to another rabbits company before :(

Like Sue said some rabbits don't like toys, I've tried everything with Paddy and Poppet, but they prefer to chew anything and everything in sight or just dig, they look at me like I'm mad when I give then a plastic toy :)) The only thing they like are willow toys, but they shred them in minutes :(

Hopefully Jinx and Posy will settle down and fall in love, they just need to decide who's going to wear the pants in the relationship ;)
Foofy

Post by Foofy »

Yes I think you are both right the problem with the bonding seems to be dominance related. Jinx wants to be the boss and keeps putting his head under Posy's but Posy is refusing to groom him at the moment and has never groomed Jinx once yet :( whereas Jinx has groomed Posy's ears on a few occassions now Posy has also put her head under Jinxs too.

The partition is working well and they can now see each other and of course smell each other at all times when in the hutch and when they are out in the run in is in the run and one is in the high sided pen inside the run meaning they can be together without me worrying about them fighting just think it will take time as they do actually seem to quite like each other, if they hated each other they would be trying to have a go at each other through the wire and they haven't been doing this at all.
Foofy

Post by Foofy »

Here are some pictures of the partition
ImageImageImage

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

Always hard when you have to make adjustments but hopefully it won't be for too long :)