Exciting times at Southampton Rabbit Rescue more photos added

We love to share photos and stories about our furry friends
Foofy

Exciting times at Southampton Rabbit Rescue more photos added

Post by Foofy »

Yesterday I was at Southampton Rabbit Rescue along with a lot of other volunteers to get ready for the builders to start work tomorrow to demolish the current hospital, and rehoming building and build brand new ones :)

The volunteers and of course Sue & Steve who run the Rescue cleaned out all bunny hutches in the hospital, moved out all the hutches into temporary accomodation in 2 different gazebos, filled up a skip with rubbish, and demolished a wooden storage shed and a metal storage shed.

Tomorrow the builders start work demolishing the rehome shed and hospital building, then some concrete bases will be built, after the concrete is dry, a new bigger hospital will be erected, along with a new re-home shed, and 2 more storage buildings. Once all fitted out with electrics etc the bunnies from the hospital can all move back into their new home, these are all the permanent residents that cannot be rehomed due to ongoing health problems, the rescue can then start accepting bunnies for rehome again as they have had to stop new arrivals due to the building works.

Here are some photos Sue took yesterday
Cleaning out the hospital hutches ready for them to be moved out to the gazebos, thats me bending down on the left hand side ;)

Some of the hospital bunnies in carriers waiting to move back into their hutches in their temporary accomodation in the gazebos

The hutches being made ready for the bunnies to move back into them in one of the gazebos

One of the storage sheds being demolished

Some of the volunteers, there were more than this originally, I'm in there too :ymblushing:

2 of the volunteers and also members of the fundraising committee, Helen on the left holding her sponsor bunny Warrenn (Warren is the Rescues mascot) and Tracie holding Eddy (Eddy belongs to Sue)
Imagenew sig by Sue Gibson, on Flickr
Hunnybunny2007

Re: Exciting times at Southampton Rabbit Rescue

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

Can't wait to see photos of the new buildings :) It's great to see so many people volunteering to help :)
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

I'm sure the bunnies will appreciate the new accommodation. Brilliant so many volunteers :)
I love the way each bunny has their own personal possessions on their carrier Aw :)
sue :)
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
RabbitResidenceEllen

Post by RabbitResidenceEllen »

How wonderful! Our Rescue is also undergoing a period of change and we'll be having a rehaul of a lot of the site very soon so having a look at this will give us energy for the potential!
Apache

Post by Apache »

How exciting! Also lovely to see so many volunteers helping :)
Foofy

Post by Foofy »

All the new buildings are now up at Southampton Rabbit Rescue :) :) there is a new larger hospital building, a shed for the bunnies awaiting new homes, and a storage shed :D

Next Saturday myself and some other volunteers are going to the Rescue in the afternoon to clean out the hospital bunnies cages and then move them back into the new hospital building :D and I think move the rehome hutches back into the new building, there are only 3 bonded females awaiting adoption at the centre at the moment as Sue had to stop taking in any more whilst all the building work was being done as there was no where to put them! After Saturday she should be ready to start taking in more rabbits for rehoming :D :D

Photos of the moving in to follow once completed next weekend :D :D
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

Well done Foofy for helping at the rescue- looking forward to the pics of completed renovations. :)
sue :)
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
Foofy

Post by Foofy »

Last Saturday afternoon I went along to Southampton Rabbit Rescue to help move all the hospital bunnies, into their brand new home inside the brand new hospital building, it was a good day despite the rain! All hutches and resident bunnies are now moved in :) the brand new hutches are on order to go inside the new rehoming shed too :) :)

Here are some photos

The new hospital building outside

The new hospital inside before we moved the hutches back in

Before the insulation was put in

With the hutches back inside

The 1st rabbit to move into the hospital was Warren, the Rescue's mascot, he is a tripod bunny and had to have one of his back legs amputated.
Here he is with Sue who runs the Rescue.

The brand new rehome shed, this one was put up first and is behind the hospital building, which wasn't built in this picture!