Windwhistle Warren

We love to share photos and stories about our furry friends
Foofy

Re: Windwhistle Warren - 77 piggys needing homes

Post by Foofy »

Oh wow such cute piggies :x :x hope that some will find their new forever homes soon
Imagenew sig by Sue Gibson, on Flickr
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

With nearly 200 small furries to look after, Windwhistle Warren in Gloucestershire currently spends £100 per WEEK on vegetables!
If anyone has an uncle who is a greengrocer or any spare supermarket vouchers or any ingenious vegetable-attracting ideas do please let us know!
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
MariasAnimalShelter

Post by MariasAnimalShelter »

In Cornwall i use a local fruit supplier who sells me 2nd class fruit and veg by the box. We have found this such a good way to save money and the animals love it as there are always items that we could not normally afford.
Hunnybunny2007

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

MariasAnimalShelter wrote:In Cornwall i use a local fruit supplier who sells me 2nd class fruit and veg by the box. We have found this such a good way to save money and the animals love it as there are always items that we could not normally afford.

That's really good, especially as it's a local supplier, I know I've picked up things from the supermarket that are reduced, but by the time I get there, there's little choice and not very good condition :(
Hunnybunny2007

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

sdf76 wrote:With nearly 200 small furries to look after, Windwhistle Warren in Gloucestershire currently spends £100 per WEEK on vegetables!
If anyone has an uncle who is a greengrocer or any spare supermarket vouchers or any ingenious vegetable-attracting ideas do please let us know!

Wow that's one shopping bill :-o
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

101 piggies alone now :( and I think nearly 100 rabbits too
sue
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

Did you know that March is National Adopt a Rescued Guinea Pig Month? This was first declared by The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) in March 2002. It was designed to to raise awareness of guinea pigs in shelters looking for their Forever Home, as well as the proper care of guinea pigs.
Here is Alic'es beautiful rescue piggie Ethel who is now 5 years old looking for a treat :)

Foofy

Post by Foofy »

sdf76 wrote:Did you know that March is National Adopt a Rescued Guinea Pig Month? This was first declared by The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) in March 2002. It was designed to to raise awareness of guinea pigs in shelters looking for their Forever Home, as well as the proper care of guinea pigs.
Here is Alic'es beautiful rescue piggie Ethel who is now 5 years old looking for a treat :)

What a very pretty piggy :x :x hope Windwhistle are able to rehome some of their piggies this month.
Imagenew sig by Sue Gibson, on Flickr
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

Alice shares this information from her friend Angie Bell...

*Important** Fox attacks do not just happen at night, there is an increasing number of daytime attacks occurring. Please be vigilant when your rabbits are out and ensure all accommodation is secure and fox/predator proof

Sad upsetting news
And a stark WARNING

Late this afternoon Barbara , one of my trusted fosterers put two young foster buns out in the runaround system in her garden .
Celandine and Violet loved to play in the tunnels .
Barbara went inside to answer the phone , a string of events kept her longer than she intended .
When she went back outside a fox was just carrying away a limp Celendine ..... She had dug a shallow scrape hole and wriggled under the runaround mesh tunnel and the fox was waiting for her .

Now Barbara isn't new to rabbits . She knows there are foxes around where she lives . Her runs are fox proof and rabbit proof . ( mesh bottoms ) But the runaround mesh tunnels were not rabbit proof and Celendine who was an escape artist managed to get out . The skirt along the edges may prevent something digging in ... But it will not stop a rabbit digging out. So although the tunnels are strong mesh it does not make them entirely safe .

Now obviously Barbara is distraught at what has happened .. But she has very bravely asked me to post this warning .
PLEASE do not assume that you rabbits are safe just because they are in a run .
Any run / tunnel / hideaway MUST have a solid or strong mesh bottom .. A skirt around the edge is NOT enough .

Little Violet is fine and safe . Little Celendine is gone .
At least let some good come out of this . If you have runs or tunnels straight onto grass ...please mesh the bottom . Don't wait till it is too late .
Hunnybunny2007

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

I saw this on Facebook, it's so sad :(