We love to share photos and stories about our furry friends
Apache

Re: Windwhistle Warren - 77 piggys needing homes

Post by Apache »

They're adorable! :x
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

Poor Cerys (left) is our longest stay piggie. She's ever so beautiful and has a cheeky personality. Her daughter Shelley (right) was born here six months ago and has never had a home. Shelley's long hair puts adopters off as you do need to groom long piggies hair daily to keep from matting. If you are interested in giving this pair a home please email windwhistlewarren@gmail.com.
Unfortunately they can't live with other pigs (bossy!)
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

Please make sure piggies and bunnies are kept in shade this hot weather- and access to water at all times.

please do not use plastic hutch cover as a shade...some piggies have recently died from this :( see link

http://www.pledgeapound.net/forum/viewt ... f=4&t=6486

how to keep piggies cool..see link
http://www.pledgeapound.net/forum/viewt ... =15&t=6436

sue
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

Some of you may remember Fergus and Henry, our long stay boys that waited for a home for far too long. Well here they are in their fabulous forever home enjoying some time in the garden :-)
We love seeing piggies in their new home!
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

from Alice....
Are you all aware of the danger of another, deadly virus to rabbits in the UK?

It is called RVHD2, in other words, viral haemorrhagic 2.
Different to the VHD one combined with the myxomatosis annual vaccination.

An additional annual vaccination is now required to keep your beloved pets safe.

Today, Rachael Hallahan and Alice Ingelby Faulkner (on a weeks work placement) vaccinated 46 rabbits here against the virus.
Thank you to them both, and to Rebecca Walsh who raised money to help us.
It kills quicker than VHD1. :( Some vets are still unaware of its existence. We have had reports that some vets say it does not exist.
Any vet trying to obtain the vaccine has experienced set backs and difficulties.
A friend has set up a FB group about this virus. It is called RHD2(VHD)UK rabbit welfare based information. A very informative group. I feel you are better visiting this for up to date information than relying on me, who may not be able to post here again for days.
Apologies as ever for being so busy.Locally, Sundean Vets at Lydney, and Wood Vets, Quedeley and Longlevens are trying their best to help. Sad to say, Sundean are not having many enquiries. I am sure there are lots of people locally who have rabbits.

sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

It is with great sadness that we are announcing the closure of the Guinea Pig side of the rescue.
We have been rescuing and rehoming Guinea Pigs for 17 years now, and this year alone we have rehomed just over 200 lucky piggies to their forever homes. Their welfare has always been paramount to us which is why we homecheck all of our animals to ensure they have ample accommodation, food and company. Unfortunately all this takes time we increasingly don't have.
Be assured that this is not a decision that we have taken lightly. We want to be able to give our best care to the animals at the rescue and so the extremely hard decision has been made to decrease numbers and to concentrate fully on the rabbits.
We want to say a MASSIVE thank you for the help all the Guinea Pig volunteers have given us over the years. Mucking out, cutting nails, lugging hay bales, dodgy hairdressing, cleaning anal sacs, chopping veggies, bathing stinkies, changing water bottles, and of course generic loving of piggies!
Also of course a big thank you to those who have adopted pigs from us, fostered ill piggies, raised money for the pigs, given us their pocket money, supported us from afar, and helped with piggy trains. Without you we would not have been able to help as many as we have
We still have some boars to rehome (pairs, and neutered singles) so will be posting them here over the next few months. Please still use our email windwhistlewarren@gmail.com for any piggy enquiries though as we will still will be part of the network and may be able to help.
Your nearest Piggy Bank approved Guinea Pig rescues are now Glynneath Guinea Pig Rescue, Blue Cross (Burford Rehoming Centre), The Littlest Rescue and Rspca Walsall.
I'm sure you'll all join me in the biggest of thanks to Alice for helping the piggies time and time again, and Derek for his unending support (despite all the grumbling!) THANK YOU :)

I believe all the piggies have now been rehomed. However Alice continues with the rabbit rescue as she did before taking in piggies , so please contact her if you are interested in rehoming rabbits. :)
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

from Alice...
Yesterday, this dear little rabbit was brought into our care. Her owners had moved out and abandoned her in her hutch. She was wet, her claws were overgrown and her bottom incisors were growing into her top gum. But, just putting her into a clean dry hutch, full of sweet hay, and, she was binkying with joy. I took her to Wood Vets Animal Hospital and her teeth were burred so she can eat more comfortably.
I have named her Sasha. She is brimming with life, and, she will have every chance possible.
Welcome to love Sasha xx

If you feel you may be able to offer Sasha a home please contact windwhistle warren.
sue :)

sdf76

Re: Windwhistle Warren

Post by sdf76 »

from Alice
Another 49 rabbits vaccinated against RVHD2 today. For one day, everybun here is innoculated against this horrible virus. The incubation period is 17 days, but, we have done all we can.
I am very disappointed to learn that many vets still do not mention it to their clients who are blissfully unaware their beloved pet may be at risk of death, just because they are not fully vaccinated...
..... I am very proud of my local vets, Sundean in Lydney, who are doing their best to raise awareness. They informed all of their rabbit clients, and, have been obtaining the vaccine to order., And, Wood Vets, Quedgeley, who have made a superhuman effort to obtain enough vaccine to cover their vast number of Rabbit clients.
Please continue to ask vets about the new vaccine...if enough people ask them they will order it in.
sue :)
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

Sometimes we have rabbits who come to the warren for help, and, we are unable to find them exactly what they need.
Poor little Dylan is one. He arrived here very traumatised and cross, and, despite our best efforts remains so. He is 6 years old, a Netherland dwarf cross with blue eyes, and, he is very frightened.
Twice attempts have been made to bond him, and, he even went to a home to live side by side with another rabbit. Unfortunately the other rabbit somehow managed to attack Dylan and he was quite badly hurt :(
My friend fostered him to bring him back to health, but, he has had a tough life so far.
So, we are looking for an extra special house home where he can just be loved for who he is. I cannot promise he will ever take to humans, and, I feel sad, as our attempts to help him have just made things worse.
If anyone feels they can offer a gentle quiet home where he may start to heal mentally, or, at least can feel safe, Dylan would love to meet you.