Rescue of the month - July

Hunnybunny2007

Rescue of the month - July

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

Featuring Furry Friends

It has been a busy time in rescue lately. Sadly, homing is going slowly, but we still have a very long waiting list of animals that need our help. Rabbits are generally underestimated and misunderstood animals, the common scenario is someone sees a cute baby bunny in the pet shop and buys them a small hutch to live in. For the next few weeks, that little bun is cuddled every day, but the novelty soon wears off. It begins to rain and people don't want to go outside to clean her out. Soon that little bun is a fully grown girl and guess what... her hormones have kicked in and now she bites. The people are desperate to get rid of her, so she comes to us.

We have a few long termers in the rescue recently. We had a large group of rabbits come to us as the owners were moving out and couldn't take the rabbits with them, so they were left behind. We had three single females and a trio arrive. One of the females - Honey - found a home fairly quickly with a gorgeous little Nethie for companionship. Speckle - another single female went to a new home this weekend. She is being paired with a neutered male and all is going well so far! This means that we still have Lola - a single female, as well as the trio - Debs, Rita and Aster looking for a home.

Lola is looking for a home with a neutered male rabbit for company.

Rita, Debs and Aster need a home together.

Working in rescue, you notice which animals are likely to be with you for a while - this is for a variety of reasons - such as age, colour and if the rabbits are to be kept in a trio. The internet is a fantastic place as it allows us to reach so many people, however the majority of homes we get are from the internet, where the first thing people notice is the photo.It sounds sad, but rabbits of a certain colour, such as dutch, agouti, P/REWS and black rabbits are usually with us for longer. It doesn't matter if these rabbits have a flawless temprament and are the sweetest rabbits you have ever seen, if they fit the above description they will probably be with us for some time. We are non-destruct, which means we would never put an animal down, unless it had a medical condition where it was suffering and nothing the vet could do could help. Any animal in our care is safe with us for life - however, the ultimate goal is to find them a home.

This brings me on to our next rabbits - Zoot and Blaise. These two have come to us as their owners are emegrating to Australia. They have the most wonderful personalities, and always come to say hello to me when I go to see them. As they are older rabbits (Zoot is 6 years and Blaise is 4 years) and they are agouti and brown, they are likely to be here for a while. They are fantastic rabbits and no less deserving of a home, so we are hoping their new owners see this soon!

Zoot and Blaise are so friendly, but likely to be with us for a long time.
We have more good news - Liberty (a 6 month old dutch rabbit) found a new home this weekend. She came to us as her previous owner was moving back to America. She is being bonded with her new partner and all is going well. Liberty has been renamed Libby and now lives in a huge converted shed.

Two gorgeous lion head brother arrived a couple of weeks ago all the way from Ireland. Simba and Smoke were going to be set free in the local park as the children got bored. We work closely with Irish rescues heard about these boys - how could we say no!

Some of you who have been following us on Facebook may know about Simon. For those of you that don't know who he is - Simon is a Netherland Dwarf who came to us last year as his previous owner inherited her mother's cat and no longer had time for him. He came with another Nethie called Peggy (they arrived as single rabbits), and Peggy found a home fairly quickly. It was a different matter for Simon as he has needed a lot of vet treatment. Simon's teeth were in a terrible way when he arrived. Our vet has tried to cut his teeth so they grew straight, however they kept growing the wrong way and the top teeth didn't appear to be growing at all. Our vets have now removed his top and bottom front teeth and the teeth were very twisted so it had to be done.Sadly, his top teeth have grown back twice now, so he will have to go back to the vets soon. He has the most wonderful personality, and is such a happy little soul. Although Simon is costing the rescue a lot of money, we will do all we can for him and will not give up on an animal just because treatment is expensive.

Our golden-plated Simon!
At the weekend, we will be welcoming a new rabbit into the rescue. This poor lad has spent the last 2 years confined to a hutch in a shed - he has not felt the sun on his back or grass underneath his feet. He has been given a bowl of food once a week, so I am not sure what to expect when he arrives. He was meant to come to us a week ago, however the owners went away on holiday and said it would be too much hassle to get him to us. I shall update when he arrives!

Don't forget to like us on facebook - http://www.facebook.com/animalrescue2 to keep up to date with all the news!
sdf76

Re: Rescue of the month - July

Post by sdf76 »

It was interesting to read about your rescue :)
I hope your new boy will be as resilient as our Coco (now 10yrs +)- he also was not let out of a small hutch for nearly 2 years, fed sporadically and only cleaned out once a fortnight (the owner was ill and had tried to rehome)- when my daughter (bunlover on here) saw him she just had to take him there and then! That was 3 years ago and after neutering and an easy bonding with a wifebun Kitty(9yrs) he enjoys 2 homes- one in London and mine in Gloucester as my daughter and I share him(and his wifebun).
It's a joy to see him running fast round the garden and he loves grazing and is so loved up with Kitty :) .
Well done for taking the new boy on- he will love the new freedom. :)
sue :)
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
Foofy

Post by Foofy »

Interesting to read about Furry Friends Rescue :) I wasn't aware that rescues had problems rehoming Dutch rabbits as well as the black, agouti and REWs. Don't know why people are not keen on Dutch maybe they think the colours are boring or something? :( I have read that Dutch are one of the healthiest breeds.
Imagenew sig by Sue Gibson, on Flickr
bunnybunny

Post by bunnybunny »

Wished I lived in the UK, I would be running away with them all. I hope they find deserving homes asap.
Furry_Friends

Post by Furry_Friends »

Thanks all. Yes - always a problem with rabbits of certain colours - always has been!