foods to stimulate a sluggish gut?

Please feel free to ask advice on health issues, but remember, this is not a substitute for taking your rabbit to the vets if it is sick.
susie bun

foods to stimulate a sluggish gut?

Post by susie bun »

Spenser already has pro-fibre. Anything else I could do to stimualte his sluggish gut?
Spenser is pondering a new signature...
sdf76

Re: foods to stimulate a sluggish gut?

Post by sdf76 »

I've heard some say they just mush up the ss pellets with a bit of lukewarm water and use instead of the critical care, but not tried that myself?

Also heard it's good to give them gentle tummy rubs or get them to move around a bit?

sue :)
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
susie bun

Post by susie bun »

I'd forgotten about pellet mush! Thanks for the reminder. This helped Spenser in the past when he was going through a similar phase.
Blackberry

Post by Blackberry »

Any chance of getting him to run around a bit more.....?

Pellet much is always good :)
susie bun

Post by susie bun »

He isn't the most active of rabbits, although he does have opportunity. Like most rabbits he is normally quite active in the morning, and sometimes at night. I really shouldn't give in and put his food bowl so close to him at tea time, but then if I don't he will just sit and scowl at me unless the offering is particularly to his liking.

I know he is spoilt, but the vet has confirmed his gut is sluggish, so I really need to try.
Apache

Post by Apache »

is it worth seeing if you vet will give you some metaclop (think its metacloprimide) for him, as that stimulates the hind gut.

Hope he's better soon x
susie bun

Post by susie bun »

Apache wrote:is it worth seeing if you vet will give you some metaclop (think its metacloprimide) for him, as that stimulates the hind gut.

Hope he's better soon x
He had some sort of gut stimulant as an injection last week. One of the problems with Spenser is that he is nigh-on impossible to medicate. I am keep an eye on his output and will call the vet if it gets worse. I do wish he would move about a bit more, especially in the evening when he is supposed to be active.
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

susie bun wrote:
Apache wrote:is it worth seeing if you vet will give you some metaclop (think its metacloprimide) for him, as that stimulates the hind gut.

Hope he's better soon x
He had some sort of gut stimulant as an injection last week. One of the problems with Spenser is that he is nigh-on impossible to medicate. I am keep an eye on his output and will call the vet if it gets worse. I do wish he would move about a bit more, especially in the evening when he is supposed to be active.
try picking him up and putting him at one end of the room -he will probably run back to his "den".

Is he inquisitive? Maybe stack a pile of books that he might climb on and jump off?

cool down the room a little and give him a snugglesafe to lie on? ..That would warm his tum without overheating him....Or a folded up warm towel under his tum.?

sue :)
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
susie bun

Post by susie bun »

I try to pick him up at least once a day. My latest way of exercising him is to carry him downstairs, then he hops up by himself. He does get the opportunity to have a walk down the hall to his grandparent room twice a day, but he isn't always in the mood.
Apache

Post by Apache »

susie bun wrote:

Hope he's better soon x
The vet can give you metaclop in liquid form, i used to dribble it onto Alfred's pellets, let it absorb, or dribble onto grated carrot, I've not had to use it for a while (touch wood!) but the vet is happy for me to give this as and when.

Also - can you move his feed bowl further away?

Hope he feels better soon x