hints and tips for syringing medicines

Please feel free to ask advice on health issues, but remember, this is not a substitute for taking your rabbit to the vets if it is sick.
sdf76

Re: hints and tips for syringing medicines

Post by sdf76 »

yes that's the fat syringe I used (given by vets not from hay experts but is the same one) but I found although the first bit came out ok as a sloppy mix, as you went on more water came out and I was finally left with a hard pellet inside the syringe which meant bun had missed out on some stuff and I couldn't measure the feed. I did remix the pellet and start again but sometimes even the nozzle was clogged and it was awkward having to put bun back to wash out nozzle then catch him and start again. I did get eventually get stuff into him with a 1ml syringe and the critical care mixed with baby food puree, but it was a hard slog.

That's an interesting point Janice about mushed SS pellets not being a dietary change. :) I never thought of the critical care stuff as being a change in diet- and of course you just give that straight off , whereas with most other foods you would give tiny bits gradually. Good point. :)

(Bun is OK for now, (touch wood & whistle). We never did get him back on pellets despite everyone's help and trying every pellet going!! and he remains on Wagg Bunny Brunch. His partner bun will eat the pellets but he won't touch them. :( He went off SS pellets when they changed the recipe. Then he got ill, then we thought he would go back on after his dental but despite extensive efforts he won't touch pellets know ( he used to love them). He was getting sticky bum on BBrunch but that seems to have settled after antibiotics for another problem. I bought an 8kg bag of the old style SS from a friend but he still won't touch them-mushed or otherwise!.

He's a wonderful old bun :) now 10 and a half yrs. He seems to be staying OK on the BBrunch and he has lots of fibre in his diet anyway- nut leaves, apple sticks etc so not unduly worried. At least he is eating something now and his weight has stopped falling so we're leaving him be. (His teeth are 100% ok as he has regular checks with Jason Burgess so not the reason he won't eat pellets).

sue :)
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny