Cushings disease

Please feel free to ask advice on health issues, but remember, this is not a substitute for taking your rabbit to the vets if it is sick.
MariasAnimalShelter

Cushings disease

Post by MariasAnimalShelter »

Does anyone know if rabbits can get Cushings disease.
Two rex brothers have come into the shelter, one black and the other is brown. On arrival it looked like the brown rex had lost weight as he was very wrinkly and looked like an old man.
When i went to vaccinate them with the combi vaccine, the black one was fine but there was no way that the the needle would go into the other one, the skin is just too thick. This thick skin is all over the body.
After consulting with the vet, we have decided not to do a biopsy. The rex is happy and it does not bother him at all. The vet administered the vaccine, she had to use a completely different needle to do this.
Has anyone ever had a rabbit that sounds like this. :-?
Apache

Re: Cushings disease

Post by Apache »

I only have experience of cushings in horses, and that manifests with low immune system, lethargy, weightloss and metabolic disorders.

I've not heard of the skin being affected by thickening.

Sorry - that probably isn't too helpful.
MariasAnimalShelter

Yes, i think with horses there are different symptoms than with dogs. i know guineas can get cushing's disease and with dog's the skin thickens.
It looks like Peter's problem will remain a mystery. :-?
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

MariasAnimalShelter wrote:Yes, i think with horses there are different symptoms than with dogs. i know guineas can get cushing's disease and with dog's the skin thickens.
It looks like Peter's problem will remain a mystery. :-?
I know Frances Harcourt-Brown has retired now but she still retains an interest in rabbits and has much experience in unusual cases. It might be worth contacting her? either on her facebook or through your vet?
sue :)
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
Hunnybunny2007

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

I'm sorry I've nothing to add to help you :( but please keep us informed of any updates on his health :)
MariasAnimalShelter

Oh yes, i forgot about Frances. Went to one of her talks 2 years ago in Harrogate. If she replies to me i will let you know what she says. Thank you. :)
mini lop1

Post by mini lop1 »

MariasAnimalShelter wrote:Oh yes, i forgot about Frances. Went to one of her talks 2 years ago in Harrogate. If she replies to me i will let you know what she says. Thank you. :)
never heard of it in bunnies but rabbits yes, I once had a rabbit whose skin seemed aliitle thicker and he flinched at every vaccination
Halfpenny

Post by Halfpenny »

I don't know about crushing in rabbits, but in dogs it makes the skin thinner, more susceptible to damage. The body is basically overloaded with steroids, so increased appetite, Thurs and urination. Higher risk of infections, muscle loss, hair loss and pot bellied, this is in dogs. Horses are slightly different in that they hold onto their coats, urinate more, have muscle loss and are prone to laminitis.