cutting down veg

Binky time, chat about bunnies and their ways.
susie bun

cutting down veg

Post by susie bun »

Spenser's new vet thinks rabbits should only have veg occasionally. I have cut Spenser's down a lot, but his poos are no better. If anything they are smaller and darker, and certainly less copious. I think he is missing his veg, and he doesn't seem to eat more hay to make up. I've also been giving less pellets, but this doesn't bother him as he is not so fond of the new high fibre Science Selective.

I now give him just a few sprigs of herb and a small piece of carrot daily. This is MUCH less than he used to get.

He will not take his biolapis for love nor money.
Spenser is pondering a new signature...
Blackberry

Re: cutting down veg

Post by Blackberry »

Did you try ordering things like dried dandelions and plantain? (Galen's Garden is a good place to look) That way he gets nice tasty stuff without all the sugars of veg.

Mine do really well with just their small amount of carrot each a day, limited pellets, very occasional fresh herbs, dried forage and hay. They do love their hay, though....
susie bun

Post by susie bun »

He has dried dandelion and plantain (Burns, from The Hay Experts). Both very popular. He has a mixture of the two in a Quality Street tin, and if he even thinks he hears the tin opening he over like a shot, beside himself. I have tried mixing hay in with his tin noms, but he is very good at picking out thedandelion and plantain.
Blackberry

Post by Blackberry »

susie bun wrote:He has dried dandelion and plantain (Burns, from The Hay Experts). Both very popular. He has a mixture of the two in a Quality Street tin, and if he even thinks he hears the tin opening he over like a shot, beside himself. I have tried mixing hay in with his tin noms, but he is very good at picking out thedandelion and plantain.
That's good :)

How about pro-fibre pellets? I use them for Dan & Clo, cos of Clo's iffy guts. They smell delicious :ymblushing: I started by just mixing a few in with the regular pellets, so they smelt the same, but the Boys love them so much they will eat them as greedily as the SS pellets :)) You can get them from Vet UK. If I spot smaller poops from Clo I up the amount of pro fibre pellets and lessen the SS pellets for a couple of days - always seems to do the trick :)
susie bun

Post by susie bun »

Blackberry wrote:
susie bun wrote:He has dried dandelion and plantain (Burns, from The Hay Experts). Both very popular. He has a mixture of the two in a Quality Street tin, and if he even thinks he hears the tin opening he over like a shot, beside himself. I have tried mixing hay in with his tin noms, but he is very good at picking out thedandelion and plantain.
That's good :)

How about pro-fibre pellets? I use them for Dan & Clo, cos of Clo's iffy guts. They smell delicious :ymblushing: I started by just mixing a few in with the regular pellets, so they smelt the same, but the Boys love them so much they will eat them as greedily as the SS pellets :)) You can get them from Vet UK. If I spot smaller poops from Clo I up the amount of pro fibre pellets and lessen the SS pellets for a couple of days - always seems to do the trick :)
I will look into the pro-fibre pellets, thanks. :)
Hunnybunny2007

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

Clever Spenser picking out all the yummy bits, but you have to eat the hay too ;) I wouldn't worry about reducing his veg, I used to give loads to mine, but found it made some of them have bad tums, now they get very little veg, but occasional herbs, they also love the plantain and dried dandelions.

I used pro fibre pellets on Chester and had good results with them, I've also heard others say the same :)
susie bun

Post by susie bun »

Do they come in an 800g pot and cost £10.85?
Hunnybunny2007

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

susie bun wrote:Do they come in an 800g pot and cost £10.85?
Yes - this one http://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-supplies- ... pot-p-1178 I get my fibreplex from there too :)

If you follow this link from Fife Rescue http://www.fiferabbitrescue.co.uk/ (a little way down the page), the rescue get a donation from vet UK :)
susie bun

Post by susie bun »

I've ordered some of the pro-fibre pellets, and a new tunnel for His Lordship. Good to know that Vet UK support rescue bunnies.

I'm really quite worried about him. He will not take his biolapis, and we both got really quite stressed by the last attempt. Spenser has retired to his basin and I am heading for the kettle.
Blackberry

Post by Blackberry »

susie bun wrote:I've ordered some of the pro-fibre pellets, and a new tunnel for His Lordship. Good to know that Vet UK support rescue bunnies.

I'm really quite worried about him. He will not take his biolapis, and we both got really quite stressed by the last attempt. Spenser has retired to his basin and I am heading for the kettle.
The pellets are great - I'm sure they will help :)

I was given biolapis for Clo - haven't used it cos it's more stressy to catch him and give it to him than it's worth. My choice is to not use it, and have a stress free bunny.