Indoor boarding what you expect?

Binky time, chat about bunnies and their ways.
Hopper Holidays

Indoor boarding what you expect?

Post by Hopper Holidays »

In the hopefully not too distant future I may be able to offer indoor boarding for one customer at a time in a room i'm hoping to have built. So the question is what is expected from indoor buns? What size cage? The thoughts at the moment are to have a cage for when I'm not in then basically freerange in that room for the rest of the time. What would be the best flooring? Heating?

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions welcome
Mam to Midnight, Alfie, Tilly, Buzz, Lady, Taye
Foster mam to Gus and Jack

www.hopperholidays.co.uk
loppy ears

Re: Indoor boarding what you expect?

Post by loppy ears »

Safety is really important so having the room free from anything that could harm a bun eg wires other chew hazards. Also security that the door is not going to be left open by accident allowing an escape. Do you have dogs or cats as some people will want to ensure these animals do not have access to the bunny room.

Flooring I think none slip lino would be good as it can be cleaned and is not as slippery as laminate and is more hygienic (you could have Altro flooring but this is expensive to fit and needs special cleaning materials).

Space wise - as big as you can if you use a dog crate maybe you could add some puppy pen panels to increase the space and make a mesh lid to prevent escape
Blackberry

Post by Blackberry »

Lady Jane Willoughby: If one was booking into a bunny hotel one would expect a luxury en suite, a jacuzzi, and room service.

I, on the other hand, agree with Loppy Ears - safety is mega important, as well as surfaces that are non-slip but can be cleaned thoroughly between guests :)
Little Man

Post by Little Man »

Completely agree with previous posts.

- Safety (room needs to be properly locked, no access for cats dogs, children only under you supervision)
- Hygiene (deep cleaning to ensure absolutely no deseases are transmitted)
- They are fed the exact same diet as at home ( I would obviously hand over enough food )

Cos it is only temporary space is not top of my list (obviously not a tiny cage) but I would also not expect a whole room or half a room- hope this makes sense.
Mrs. Bunnykins

Post by Mrs. Bunnykins »

I do indoor boarding. Depending on the size, age, agility, temperament of the bunny, offer them either a dog crate with two storeys, attached play pen and then free roam in my lounge when I am there to supervise, or a large ferplast also with playpen attached and free roaming whne I'm around.

I have no dogs, cats or children.

In the playpen there is lino on top of the laminate floor, then newspaper and then washable rugs.

So far this system has worked really well. No complaints from the bunnies or their owners.
Gray

Post by Gray »

A warm, draft free environment, with sufficient space for buns to not be stuck in a small cage.

B&G go to The Duchess' for boarding and although its the best part of 2 hours away from here, i would take them every time, as i trust Helen implicitly. She has 4x 7ft x3ft hutches i think they are which are kitted out in a huge summer house which is heated and fly screened and has fly zappers inside also.

This to me, is perfect for us, as i have to think of an unvaccinated bunny.
GrahamL from RU.
Debster

Post by Debster »

Agree with the comments about hygiene - no carpets on the floor as they can't be cleaned properly.

I think trust in the person looking after them is the most important - being as sure as you can be that if your bunny fell ill then they would know the signs and know what to do. I'm very lucky that I have 2 boarding places within an hour of me and have total trust in the people running them.

In winter my bunnies board at the same place as Gray's (they live indoors in winter). They stayed over Christmas and Pickle did throw a bit of a strop for the first night and "appeared" to be refusing to eat. Helen had worked out by the next morning that he was in fact eating, just being very sneaky about doing it when he thought no one was looking, little brat! :)) We put this down to him being cross at being enclosed, as he free-ranges in my lounge usually which is quite big. So, I can see the appeal in being able to board indoor bunnies with a whole room to themselves!