Avoid sawdust for bunny bedding

Binky time, chat about bunnies and their ways.
sdf76

Avoid sawdust for bunny bedding

Post by sdf76 »

It's easy to misleadingly think you're being kind putting sawdust down as bedding for your rabbit, but unfortunately when they dig in it, you risk little bits of dust and sawdust going in their eye and causing an eye infection. :(

Please put hay as bedding instead of sawdust? :)

Rabbits need to eat lots of hay ( or grass) on a daily basis and often nibble the top of the hay while sat in their litter tray.

I have found that an old newspaper underneath hay absorbs any wee, and makes it much easier to clean out than sawdust.
sue :)
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
Foofy

Re: Avoid sawdust for bunny bedding

Post by Foofy »

Good advice :-) I use lots of bedding I use newspaper, then tea bag paper bedding, then hay, and in the litter trays I use Megazorb with hay on top.
Imagenew sig by Sue Gibson, on Flickr
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

not heard of the tea bag paper bedding? ...where do you get it from?
sue:)
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
Foofy

Post by Foofy »

sdf76 wrote:not heard of the tea bag paper bedding? ...where do you get it from?
sue:)
I get it in big bags/bales from my local farm/equine shop where I get my hay and rabbit food from, it's similar to Fitch if you've seen that but I think it's better :) it's very soft, not dusty and doesn't smell much I think it's supposed to be horse bedding, but I think it's a perfect rabbit bedding especially for my Jinx who suffers from sore hocks :)
Imagenew sig by Sue Gibson, on Flickr