Rescue Rabbit/Guinea Pig of the Month December 2018

Binky time, chat about bunnies and their ways.
Foofy

Rescue Rabbit/Guinea Pig of the Month December 2018

Post by Foofy »

As we have now announced the winner of the Rescue Rabbit/Guinea Pig of the month for November - Hope from Tameside Rabbit Rescue
see her story and photos here
http://www.pledgeapound.net/forum/viewt ... f=4&t=6970

We are now opening up this thread for entries for the December Rescue Rabbit/Guinea Pig of the Month.

All our Rescues are welcome to enter, even if you have won before. Your entry must include the animal/s story and at least 1 photo (but more is good ;) ), you have until midnight on 30th November to get your entries in here. Entries can only be accepted from the Rescues/Sanctuaries that Pledge a Pound supports, and must be placed as a reply to this thread.

Only one entry per Rescue please.

Your entry can be a single rabbit or guinea pig, or it can be a pair or group that live together.

The winner will be chosen by the Pledge a Pound Team at the beginning of December.

The winner will receive a prize of items to be sent to the Rescue such as Panacur, Fibreplex, critical care, etc and similar things that all rabbit/guinea pig Rescues use/need. This months prize will be 1 tube of Panacur and 1 tube of Fibreplex.

If anyone needs help uploading photos to the forum please let me know.
Imagenew sig by Sue Gibson, on Flickr
MariasAnimalShelter

Re: Rescue Rabbit/Guinea Pig of the Month December 2018

Post by MariasAnimalShelter »

ImageImage

Star has come in as the worst neglect case i have seen in the 18 years that i have had the shelter. He lived for 8 years in a 2ft prison with a multitude of health problems, mites, loss of balance due to having no muscle tone, eyes closed and pus coming out, a curved spine and he was skin and bone. We nursed him back to health as far as we could and he has thrived with us. All his fur regrew,his infections disappeared, instead of falling everywhere he built up his muscles and loved nothing more than jumping on and off onto people for cuddles. We struggled to rid him of his mites and put on weight.The vet came over to us yesterday and gave Star another health check. I was shocked when she discovered an ear based abscess not just on one side but in both of his ears. When she looked into his mouth she announced that his teeth were in a terrible state and there was also pus there. I truly cannot believe how he had been eating so well, never seeming to be in pain or struggling to eat. The vet explained that this was probably due to the fact that he had been suffering with so many problems over the years that eating was ok for him. We have to take him into the vets on the 12th for xrays and tests but the vet has said that his prognosis is poor. We, at the shelter will be devastated to lose him. :-s
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

That is so shocking- poor Star. :( I assume he's on pain relief and hope that his prognosis will not be as poor as you fear. He's obviously a fighter.
I'm glad he's enjoying cuddles with you and wish him luck for the 12th.
sue
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
honeybunny

Post by honeybunny »

oh my goodness, poor Star :(
emzbunz

Post by emzbunz »

I introduced Tiny Tim from Windwhistle Warren when I first joined the group. He was rescued from a ‘Pets Corner’ at a farm. He was only a baby, and had already sustained injury to his eye. Either he was pecked by a chicken, or ran into a nail. His rescuers were desperate to bond him with their hunbun, but, she was having none of it. Their vet inspected his eye and thought it was fine.
Unfortunately, something must have lodged in his eye, as a few months after coming to Windwhistle, he had conjunctivitis. Two days after starting eye drops, his eye looked worse. So, he underwent a procedure to check the eyeball. It was a ball of pus, sitting on an abscess. He was on antibiotics for 3 weeks, and, the eye removed. He is really happy now and pain free.
Attachments
Tiny Tim.jpg
Tiny Tim.jpg (253.86 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

Oh poor Tiny Tim- glad he has now had an op and is pain free. I'm sure he will get used to having sight in just one eye in time.
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
bunlover

Post by bunlover »

The human race never ceases to shock me when you think you see it all poor star I hope things improve what a treasure the poor love is I hope that with adequet pain management and various other care he will improve and fall on his paws. Poor Tim I remember his story And I hope he also is on his way to finding a lovely partner bun and home one day xxx
Foofy

Post by Foofy »

The Pledge a Pound Team have now chosen the winner of the Rescue Rabbit of the Month for December and it is Star from Marias Animal Shelter, the Rescues prize is a tube of Fibreplex and a tube of Panacur.

MariasAnimalShelter wrote:ImageImage

Star has come in as the worst neglect case i have seen in the 18 years that i have had the shelter. He lived for 8 years in a 2ft prison with a multitude of health problems, mites, loss of balance due to having no muscle tone, eyes closed and pus coming out, a curved spine and he was skin and bone. We nursed him back to health as far as we could and he has thrived with us. All his fur regrew,his infections disappeared, instead of falling everywhere he built up his muscles and loved nothing more than jumping on and off onto people for cuddles. We struggled to rid him of his mites and put on weight.The vet came over to us yesterday and gave Star another health check. I was shocked when she discovered an ear based abscess not just on one side but in both of his ears. When she looked into his mouth she announced that his teeth were in a terrible state and there was also pus there. I truly cannot believe how he had been eating so well, never seeming to be in pain or struggling to eat. The vet explained that this was probably due to the fact that he had been suffering with so many problems over the years that eating was ok for him. We have to take him into the vets on the 12th for xrays and tests but the vet has said that his prognosis is poor. We, at the shelter will be devastated to lose him. :-s
Imagenew sig by Sue Gibson, on Flickr
honeybunny

Post by honeybunny »

Well deserved x
MariasAnimalShelter

Post by MariasAnimalShelter »

Thank you very much for choosing Star as rabbit of the month. Unfortunately we had overcome most of Stars problems but his ear based abcess's and teeth were things that we could not solve. He had to be put to sleep. Whilst he was with us for the last few months of his life he was truly spoilt and loved life with us. :(