Bunny diet

Binky time, chat about bunnies and their ways.
Hunnybunny2007

Bunny diet

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

I was just wondering what you feed to your buns - I know each one is different :)

The only veg my bunnies have is carrot and thats about a 1" piece 2-3 times a week, they do have home grown herbs such as Parsley and Basil, but not in great quantities. They have a few pellets in the morning and now the nights are colder they get a few extra at night, they have a mix of A & P and SS (Harry and Twinkle have the mature), their hay is bought in bales from the farm shop and they love it, they do get some readigrass too. Their treat is dried plaintain at the moment, although I've still got some fresh growing along with dandelions in tubs.

They never get any type of biscuit treats, I did buy them some of the fenugreek crunchies after reading they went mad for them, but Sooty broke one of his front teeth on one so I never bought them again.

Next year I'm hoping to start foraging for them :)
Halfpenny

Re: Bunny diet

Post by Halfpenny »

Mine get mainly hay, with a handful of rabbit royale in the morning. They get some veg, mainly carrots too as a couple of the girls produce too many ceacotrophs if they get broccoli or cabbage.
They do get occasional treats but we can't really afford to buy things like fenugreek crunchies too often.
Blackberry

Post by Blackberry »

Mine are spoilt and get a fenugreek crunchie each day, but for their regular diet Dan & Clo have SS pellets mixed with pro fibre pellets, and Butters and Lady have Beaphars pellets.

They all have loads of meadow hay. I did try the boys on samples of other hay, which were all ignored in favour of the cheap stuff!

They have their forage foods - if I could get enough hawthorn they would happily eat that and rode petals and not bother with anything else!

They have one small carrot cut up between the 4 of them every day, and Lady gets a slice of apple once a fortnight as a treat (she shares the apple with the piggies and budgie)
hurricanhoney

Post by hurricanhoney »

They are all on science selective at the moment a small handful. They get cabbage, herbs, cauli and a mixture of other veg in the morning. They have Timothy hay all the time.

Diet depends on time of year summer they get grass dandies or plantain or flowers in the evening and a fenugreek crunchy.

Winter is readigrass and foraged items eg dried hawthorn plantain marigold.

At the moment as Wesley has just had an abcess removed I am trying to feed medicinal herbs and plants to help him.
loula

Post by loula »

Bella gets 2 big handfuls of SS mature every morning. She eats baled hay from our local feed suppliers, and then gets a handful of readigrass or green oat hay every day.

She eats me out of house and home with veg! She has a large cat litter tray that is filled to overflowing every night with veg. Last night it was spring greens (3 or 4 leaves), cabbage (3 or 4 leaves), carrot (1/2), sprouts (4), celery (1 stick), swede (big chunk), broccoli (1/4), cauliflower (1/6), mint (big handful), rocket (1/4 bag) and watercress (1/4 bag) :D This is generally what she has most days, though only gets rocket and watercress when it's on the reduced shelf! She only gets fruit when she robs it from me!

She does get treats but not every day (though she does have an advent calender courtesy of my mum!), usually fenugreek crunchies and carrottys. She also gets dried dandelion, plantain and whatever I can forage whenever I can.

What a piggie!
Laura x

loulabee.folksy.com - My folksy page!
poppymoon

Post by poppymoon »

sprinkle of dried herb mix first thing - they both go binky mad for it as soon as i get up :x then a small amt of veg/fresh herbs (usually stick to the boring few i know they're both ok with, sweetheart cabbage and fine green beans) followed by half a dozen ss pellets.

if i have to go out they get an 'extra' - varies btw a fenugreek crunchie, a few pro fibre pellets or a bit of dried forage.

tea time is small amt of veg again, 6 more ss pellets each.

they both have 2 or 3 different hays each day. eric can't tolerate lush green baled stuff so he must have a stalky one primarily. i'm using timothy & rye for now with a topping of meadow with peppermint.

bedtime is always a fenugreek crunchie :)

oooppsss - sounds like they have a lot but they don't!! nethie sized portions but a variety of different stuff. the piggies eat waaaayyyy more than the buns!!
*Red*

Post by *Red* »

My two each have the following;

BREAKFAST
12-15 SS pellets
followed by a small chunk of; carrot, celery, green pepper and cucumber, and a small (maybe an inch square) of savoy cabbage.
Occasionally they'll have a couple of grapes or raspberries, and a small chunk of apple when I actually have time to make myself porridge of a morning as I cut an apple up for myself. Mango licks the porridge bowl once I've finished :ymblushing:

DINNER
Another 12-15 SS pellets, and the same veg as the morning.

THROUGHOUT THE DAY
Fresh hay (I clean them out every morning and then once again when I get home).
Large bowl of fresh herbs, either in the morning or evening - coriander, basil, dill, and a small amount of parsley and kale.
3-4 apple sticks and leaves when I have those in supply from Jen, and I need to start foraging more for bramble and hawthorn as they love those!
1-2 fenugreek crunchies each

Every 3 or 4 days they get a little bowl of Chudleys Rabbit Royale mix, which is apparently one of the better mixes. I don't find it puts them off their pellets as I don't give it to them at the same time. And actually they don't pick their favourite bits out, they eat the whole lot.

According to the lady who's boarding them, they've developed a liking for a rich tea finger biscuit of a morning! So it looks like I'll be keeping that up...
Little Man

Post by Little Man »

I have been very good with Little Man's diet for 8 yrs ( he is now 9)

For 8 yrs he was fed a 90% hay diet plus a carrot a day and the occasional fresh herbs. He is the picture of health with fantastic teeth and has never been ill except for the time when I almost killed him by feeding too much calcium.

Recently I have caved in and bought some burgess I am now on my 3rd bag split amongst 5 buns.
Each bun gets about 6 burgess pellets per day.

But I plan to be good again and to remove the burgess again and to return to a pellet free diet.
**LouLou**

Post by **LouLou** »

I have 5 outdoor buns (a pair and a group of 3) and one indoor. They have Science Selective pellets (a large handful each once a day), unlimited farm hay and whichever veggies I have - I buy different ones each time so they dont have the same all the time. In the summer I grow parsley, mint and coriander which they love.

A few weeks ago I bought some Kitty Grass for my 4 cats - its a kit that you add water to and it grows grass that cats can eat to aid their digestion. But as you can guess my cats have turned their nose up and walked away....typical!!! So I have emailed the manufacturer to see if its safe for buns and piggies as it would be good for my house bun through the winter. I'll post again when I know the answer.
**LouLou**

Post by **LouLou** »

Got a reply from Armitages - Kitty Grass is fine for buns and piggies :)