Please neuter

Binky time, chat about bunnies and their ways.
bunnymadhouse

Please neuter

Post by bunnymadhouse »

Reasons to neuter rabbits ...

* Females *

Prevent unwanted pregnancies ...
It's easy for rabbits to be mis sexed so even if you are told you have 2 of the same sex do NOT take this for granted ... Free ranging females may be visited and impregnated by wild rabbits ....

Allow rabbits to live happily together....
Even same sex pairs are better neutered ... Even if you are sure of their sex ... Hormonal behaviour as they mature can cause fighting with devasting injuries .
Spayed females are easier to pair .

Help with aggressive behaviour ...
Most aggressive behaviour in rabbits is based on hormonal behaviour ... If left unchecked this can become learned behaviour which is harder to stop .
Spaying at an early age can eliminate this .

Eliminate the risk of uterine cancer...
Uterine cancer is a big killer of female rabbits over 3 years of age . Spaying removes this risk altogether . It is a silent illness that will likely have spread before you see signs and can take action .

Helps with litter training ...
Spayed rabbits are easier to litter train

* Males *

Allows rabbits to live together happily ...
Putting a male rabbit with any other rabbit unless neutered will result in fighting .. Neutered males can live happily with a female . Sometimes males neutered at a young age will even live with another neutered male .

Help with aggressive behaviour ....
Same as females much aggressive behaviour is linked with hormones .. Neutering calms .

Helps with litter training ...
Neutered males litter train easier ... It also helps with scent marking . Un neutered males often produce droppings with a very strong smell .

BE RESPONSIBLE Neuter your pet ..... Or better still visit a rescue and adopt animals that are already neutered for you .

Angie
Barc
Rabbit re homing co ordinator

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
sdf76

Re: Please neuter

Post by sdf76 »

Many years ago (despite recommendation from a vet) I chose not to neuter my female rabbits as they got on well, 8-| and I feared the op might be a dangerous and unnecessarily premature procedure :-s . I thought I would leave it and I would only get them neutered if either of them showed any signs.
The one female rabbit did show signs after some years, so I took her to the vet for neutering, but Xrays showed the cancer had spread elsewhere especially to her lungs and it was too late to do the op. :( She could not be saved and had to be pts. =(( I then had the sister rabbit neutered as she had not yet developed symptoms and she was OK.
Please don't think you can wait for symptoms in female rabbits, as by the time they appear, it may be too late . :( The modern day anaesthetics are much safer than years ago too.

When my adult daughter got Arthur ( the first male rabbit) I also thought that male rabbits wouldn't need to be neutered if they got on well with the neutered female. 8-| ..I was wrong about that too..I went to see Arthur and his (neutered) wifebun Dora while he was booked in and waiting to go for his op. While Arthur clearly loved Dora ! :x he just wouldn't give her a moment's peace and had to have time out now and then for Dora to rest. Male rabbits do what rabbits do. :ymblushing: ..constantly!! In the end the female could get cross and attack the male and break the bond. ( In the wild a male would have many female mates rather than one). My daughter was absolutely right to have Arthur neutered as it calmed Arthur down :) . After many years Dora passed away :( and Arthur had 2 wifebuns, Santi and Minty :) . Minty passed away :( ( see her story in rainbow bridge) but Arthur ( now 11yrs + ) still lives happily with Santi. :)

so Male rabbits need neutering too.
sue
Last edited by sdf76 on 16 Nov 2016 08:32, edited 1 time in total.
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
honeybunny

Re: Please neuter

Post by honeybunny »

agree with all you say Angie