Poor Lexi...

Binky time, chat about bunnies and their ways.
Honey61

Poor Lexi...

Post by Honey61 »

She has a chest infection :( :(
Vet has given her a strong antibiotic injection & we have to go back Thursday morning to see if it has cleared sufficiently for her to have a dental. Poor baby looks so forlorn :(

I feel awful... I've had a chest infection & bronchitus ... now I'm wondering if she has caught my germs :-\ :(
Hunnybunny2007

Re: Poor Lexi...

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

Poor Lexi, I hope the meds soon kick in for her x
Little Man

Post by Little Man »

Don't feel awful you couldn't know.

Flu like infections, the flu and chest infections can be passed on to bunnies by humens.

Hope lexi feels better soon.
sending lots of vibes for lexi :x
poppymoon

Post by poppymoon »

hope she feels better soon :(

i don't think that human infections like that can be passed onto bunnies - for some reason tho i'm thinking hamsters can catch our colds :-\ i'll see if i can find out where i've read that info.

is she a snuffly girly? just wondering too whether being indoors with the heating on has triggered it?
Little Man

Post by Little Man »

My vet pointed this out to me when I came in with a cold and with my bunny.

I think it depends on the overall condition of your bunnie's immune system and luck or bad luck basically.
Since then I am super careful when I have got a cold.
poppymoon

Post by poppymoon »

Little Man wrote:My vet pointed this out to me when I came in with a cold and with my bunny.

I think it depends on the overall condition of your bunnie's immune system and luck or bad luck basically.
Since then I am super careful when I have got a cold.
really? hopefully i'll stay germ free anyway :)

this is where i read it:
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sneezing.html
Little Man

Post by Little Man »

This is where I got it from apart from being informed by my vet (sorry it is in German)

http://www.diebrain.de/k-schnupfen.html

It is common belief in German veterinary medicine that virus infections can be passed from humans to their pets.

It appears that the flu virus is a virus which can be transmitted from one species to another, e.g swine flu and bird flu.
To me personally it makes sense, if the flu virus can be passed from animals to humans then it would seem possible for the virus to also be passed the other way, i.e. from humans to pets.

Whereas a cold caused by bacterias, is not passed on to pets.

It is probably one of those things where you ask 2 vets and get 2 opinions ;)
Honey61

Post by Honey61 »

Thank you peeps for your good wishes for Lexi :)

She is still fairly quiet & subdued, but still eating, (although reduced).......so a good sign in a lot of respects.
She has always been an indoor bunny, apart from the brief period at the rescue & that was in the summer.
No snuffly noises prior to this either & I was super careful whilst I was poorly, no snuggles, always coughed into my tissue & didn't breath on her at close range :(

As for the heating, I only have the lounge, kitchen & hall radiators on, the others are just on frost setting at the other end of the house ... & it's still flipping freezing!

I can onoly keep paws crossed for tomorrow & hope the dental goes ahead & hope that it is her teeth afterall, although vet doesn't seem to think they are causing her a problem at the moment .... :-\
Little Man

Post by Little Man »

Wishing all the best for Lexi tomorrow :x

Hope everything goes well and Lexi feels better soon. %%- %%- %%-
Hunnybunny2007

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

Hope everything goes well for Lexi tomorrow, Dodger is keeping his paws crossed for her :x