warning-plastic hutch covers can kill in hot weather

Binky time, chat about bunnies and their ways.
sdf76

warning-plastic hutch covers can kill in hot weather

Post by sdf76 »

I saw this on facebook and wanted to remind everyone that the plastic hutch covers are there to protect against rain and cold- they are not suitable as a sunshade, (neither are they a protection against foxes who can chew easily through plastic. ) The same applies to rabbits as to guinea pigs.

WEATHER WARNING ALERT I have heard tonight of two guinea pigs in the Surrey area called Fudge and Toffee who are no longer with us and who died today in a similar hutch and cover combo as the first photo shows. Their owner covered them over to stop the fox getting them. Tragically the covers create a greenhouse effect and a killer for any furry animal. :( :(

The second photo shows a pair of pigs who don't have their cover on, who have plenty of air and are in a shady place all day :)

. RIP Fudge and Toffee, your deaths could of been avoided. :(

Please share to make people think.

sue
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
sdf76

Re: warning-plastic hutch covers can kill in hot weather

Post by sdf76 »

Even though the scorching sun has gone it's still very warm so the advice about plastic hutch covers still applies ( and remember rabbits tolerate heat less well than we do) so please make sure they have plenty of fresh air and fresh water. :)
sue :)
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny