Expecting new baby-should I rehome my rabbit?

Binky time, chat about bunnies and their ways.
sdf76

Expecting new baby-should I rehome my rabbit?

Post by sdf76 »

Many people worry they will not have time for their pet rabbit when the new baby comes along, :-s so I have written this advice in the hope it will help you to be able to keep your pet rabbit(s). This is written mainly with outdoor rabbit(s) in mind.
Firstly-Congratulations. :) .. it’s an exciting time...so much to think about....including plans for how to make things easier for yourself with your rabbit so that you don’t have to rehome him/her.
Many people find caring for a rabbit whilst they are pregnant or with a small baby is just the same as before. But it’s good to have contingency plans in place. :)
Ask now, if any family members could help you with feeding your rabbit and changing the litter tray during later pregnancy (6-7months) and in first couple of months with your new baby? :)
.... If you have senior school age children they could perhaps help too?
Maybe a neighbour would come in sometimes to help?
....You may find that a friend’s older children would be willing to pop round to feed your rabbit and change the litter tray?
You could put an advert in your local shop asking if someone would be willing to temporarily pop in to look after your rabbit ?(obviously you would check that they were decent as you would with anyone coming to your home-gardener/cleaner etc.)

If you cannot find any free helpers, you may be able to afford a few weeks at a local rabbit boarding facility?
............You may even be able to arrange a temporary foster carer for your rabbit during this time through your local rabbit rescue?
..... Some boarding facilities will come to your home to feed and clean out the rabbit for a small extra fee
.............Perhaps you could get a pet sitter to come to look after your rabbit for a few weeks? Your vets or local rabbit rescue might even be able to put you in touch with one of their staff ?

......If you do not chose to have any extra help then think about practical ways which will make life easier for you *-:)
. *-:) A long handled dustpan and long handled brush (these are usually inexpensive from pound shops or large supermarkets. ) can be used for sweeping up any droppings on a path to save you bending when heavily pregnant.
*-:) Leave a patio chair near the rabbit hutch so you can sit down when pregnant while cleaning litter trays and checking your rabbits bottom.
. *-:) ...Put any newspapers in a black bin bag (so they won’t get wet) one by one on top of the hutch for easy reach. Ask neighbours if you can have their newspapers on recycle day, as these make a good litter tray lining topped with some hay..
... *-:) Perhaps put some woodchips (not sawdust as this causes breathing problems) beneath the newspaper to soak up any rabbit urine to make the litter tray change last a bit longer? (putting the woodchips beneath the newspaper stops them kicking it, and making a mess).
If you have not already done so, think about a pet insurance plan for your rabbit so that you won’t have to worry if future vet bills.

If you don’t have a partner or any other help, then you could perhaps buy a baby sling to put baby in which would give you both hands free when attending your rabbit(s)? Make sure it’s one baby will not tip out of, if you bend over..Mumsnet seems to like this one, but there are many others.
http://www.mumsnet.com/reviews/on-the-m ... awrap-wrap
You may prefer to take your new baby into the back garden in a pram with an insect net for a sleep in the fresh air...you could quickly clean out and feed the rabbit(s) then? :)

.If you have a single rabbit, think about asking your nearest rabbit rescue about bonding :x your rabbit with a partner. It’s not much effort to add a few more pellets to a dish for two than for one, and rabbits often go in the same litter tray when bonded. (It’s important not to just add another rabbit without bonding as they will fight)Your rabbit would then have company and not be lonely on busy days when you can’t interact so much with them.
It is of course vital to make sure they are neutered so they do not breed- your local rabbit rescue can give you advice :) . Please post on here if you cannot find a rescue near to you and I will happily give you details :) .

Talk to others on rabbit forums for advice on how to make caring for your rabbit easier for yourself too. :)
Ask other mums on parenting forums for advice too. :)
I do hope your rabbit will be able to remain part of your family :)

sue :)
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
bunnymadhouse

Re: Expecting new baby-should I rehome my rabbit?

Post by bunnymadhouse »

Good advice
Baymair

Post by Baymair »

That's a really good idea.
Foofy

Post by Foofy »

Very good advice :-) my rabbits and cat are my babies ;-)
Imagenew sig by Sue Gibson, on Flickr
bunlover

Post by bunlover »

Excellent advice here. I know sdf76 is kindly fostering my 2 for me (im due in under 2 weeks ) and while icould and would manage them if needed it takes the stress out of worrying i might not be feeling up to bending that day or worrying about when i go into labour they are fed etc. She will keep them for a few weeks after baby2 is born so i can adjust to a toddler and baby before us all being reunited! I do miss them but its good to temperarily have one less thing to worry about. My husband would have taken care of them if nessacary as he does when iv been ill but as he will come to hospital as my birth partner it means not worrying if they have been fed and cared for during the time im in :) a lot of people panic when a new baby comes along as they do take up so much of your time and finds that the buns get less attention so if they have a friend too it wont matter as much
Apache

Post by Apache »

Congratulations Bunlover :)
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

Apache wrote:Congratulations Bunlover :)
just a week to go now :) and the bunnies like having a holiday here. :) They are used to my home as bunlover and I shared care of Coco (bridge bunny) and the other bunnies went with him when he moved from bunlovers home to mine and back . :)
sue :)
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
Apache

Post by Apache »

that's nice :) x