What herbs to grow for rabbits?

Binky time, chat about bunnies and their ways.
sdf76

What herbs to grow for rabbits?

Post by sdf76 »

I'm going to grow some herbs for my daughter bunlover's rabbits for when they come to visit me... I've grown parsley and mint before...any other suggestions? Mainly for planting directly in a border, but windowsill suggestions too, please. :)

(Just easy to grow stuff as I don't have a greenhouse :) )

sue :)
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
Foofy

Re: What herbs to grow for rabbits?

Post by Foofy »

I usually try and grow some herbs each year for my bunnies but in pots, I have found the easiest to grow and keep alive for at least the summer :)) :)) have been mint, this comes back each year :D, Basil, sage, parsley, oregano, rosemary & thyme.

My bunnies seem to much prefer eating the parsley (both types flat leaf & curled) and basil though above all the others above, although they do eat them all. I have found that basil leaves can be an excellent way to administer medication too, as you can put a couple of drops of Metacam in the middle and make a little medicine parcel by folding it up and it goes down well, have also used it to administer powdered medicine like Avipro and bisolvon in little parcels :D
Imagenew sig by Sue Gibson, on Flickr
Hunnybunny2007

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

Lavender is quite hardy too, we have pots of this around the runs and blackberry bushes, although they can get a little unruly :)
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

My lavender bush is very old and woody now so maybe time to get another.
Oh I didn't know they could eat rosemary... I have a big rosemary bush in the front garden :)

I've not tried to grow sage or oregano before...and my thyme was unsuccessful before.

So I'll give sage and oregano a try this year then.:)..
( I often make sage and onion stuffing and the oregano is ideal for making pizzas so plenty of use if the bunnies don't like it.)
Thanks for the tips Hunnybunny & Foofy :)
Foofy

Post by Foofy »

All my bunnies like lavender too and I have several in pots. I think most herbs are safe or bunnies, although I know you are not supposed to feed chives as it's part of the onion family, but having said that a few years ago, one of my bunnies Buttons I think, got at my pot of chives and eat some and he didn't suffer any ill effects.

Let us know how you get on :)
Hunnybunny2007

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

We've also grown Plaintain in boxes for them - I also have pots with dandelions in :))
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

Hunnybunny2007 wrote:We've also grown Plaintain in boxes for them - I also have pots with dandelions in :))
I have a little dandelion /weed garden for them :) ... they also like to weed the patio for us :)) I do have one or two small bits of plantain in the garden...but how do you grow new plants from it?
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

Well - I cheated a bit as I read that after you used the herbs from a supermarket herb pot you could plant the stump in the garden and more would grow- it works! :) I had planned to post pics of the bunnies eating the parsley and mint but they devoured it before I had chance. :)) Arthur even dug up the stumps to make a lay for himself on the cool earth so I guess thats the end of that :)) They didn't eat the chives though.
hurricanhoney

Post by hurricanhoney »

I am growing fenugreek, dill, fennel, lavender, Rosemary, thyme, mint, celery leaf, parsley, calendula flowers, nasturtiums, violas, plantain. Raspberry in pots. I'm planning on doing strawberry as they love the leaves.
Foofy

Post by Foofy »

sdf76 wrote:Well - I cheated a bit as I read that after you used the herbs from a supermarket herb pot you could plant the stump in the garden and more would grow- it works! :) I had planned to post pics of the bunnies eating the parsley and mint but they devoured it before I had chance. :)) Arthur even dug up the stumps to make a lay for himself on the cool earth so I guess thats the end of that :)) They didn't eat the chives though.

Yes I had this happen to me several times when I had pots of herbs in my back garden too! Sensible bunnies not eating the chives though as chives are not supposed to be good for them as they are part of the onion family, although saying that I had a pot of chives in my back garden once and one of my buns ate quite a bit of it and was fine afterwards thank goodness.