Rex rabbits and food

Binky time, chat about bunnies and their ways.
Foofy

Rex rabbits and food

Post by Foofy »

My latest bunny addition Jinx who is a mini Rex just loves his food :)) I have never had a rabbit like him before he will eat anything and gobbles it up so fast till its all gone. I think he treats each and every meal as though it's the last he will ever get :)) :)) When he is eating something especially his greens his mouth moves so fast about twice the speed of his wife Daisy's! I'm surprised he doesn't give himself indigestion.

A few people said to me when I first got him and they found out he was a Rex that he would like his food, I now know what they meant =)) =)) and I thought my 2 Dutch bunnies Peter & Buttons were greedy but they're not a patch on Jinx :)) :)) When he has apple twigs he just eats the whole twig, whereas the other 3 bunnies just strip the bark off and leave the rest but not Jinx =)) =))

I'll have to try and get a video of him eating so you can see what I mean.

Here is a photo of him
Imagenew sig by Sue Gibson, on Flickr
Orange

Re: Rex rabbits and food

Post by Orange »

Deleted
Last edited by Orange on 03 Sep 2019 12:07, edited 1 time in total.
Hunnybunny2007

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

Orange wrote:Jinx is absolutely gorgeous. Our orange rex Kellogg was just like this. He would literally eat anything. I was amazed he did not poison himself. Examples of what he ate over the years? All our indoor plants, including a whole ivy plant. My palm plant only had leaves above rabbit reach height. Any bit of paper or card. He particularly loved glossy magazine covers and could easily scoff an entire front cover if not discovered. He loved polystyrene, foam and rubber, especially the backing of our carpets. Oh,and the front of the carpet was not bad either. Wallpaper, skirting boards, furniture etc. He loved licking my husband's bicycle chain, especially in winter when it was particularly oily and greasy. He would scavenge round the dining table all the time and eat any morsel he found, including meat. I had to get rid of all the waste paper bins as he constantly raided them. There were no cut flowers as he would always get to them and eat them all. He enjoyed a nibble on our clothes and if we laid still on the floor he would have a nibble at us. Not biting, just a nibble, he especially liked hair. The list is endless. On one memorable occasion I found an intact rubber band in his litter tray. I knew it had been through his gut as it had droppings moulded round it! On the positive side he was also a massive hay eater too and never had any problems with his teeth!

Wow what an appetite :))
Hunnybunny2007

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

My Paddy is a Rex and he loves his food, he chases Poppet out of the way to make sure he's first in the food dish, this week I found they'd chewed the lino in the shed and they had managed to get to the sweeping brush and they'd chewed a lot of the bristles off :(
Foofy

Post by Foofy »

Crikey Orange Kellogg certainly liked his food too, any food :)) :)) as you say I'm surprised he didn't do any harm to himself!

Good job Jinx is an outside bunny I suppose, he has started to chew the inside of the hutch too, oh and the house in the run!

Paddy loves his food too then Hunnybunny ;)

Jinx is not the only Rex to have these traits then I thought there must be something in the rumours I'd heard :)) :))
Orange

Post by Orange »

Deleted
Last edited by Orange on 03 Sep 2019 12:07, edited 1 time in total.
Hunnybunny2007

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

They are also partial to the shed door lol

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
Hunnybunny2007

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

Orange wrote:
Hunnybunny2007 wrote:My Paddy is a Rex and he loves his food, he chases Poppet out of the way to make sure he's first in the food dish, this week I found they'd chewed the lino in the shed and they had managed to get to the sweeping brush and they'd chewed a lot of the bristles off :(
Mmmm..Kellogg would have loved sweeping brush bristles :))

Kellogg was such a gorgeous colour :x
Orange

Post by Orange »

Deleted
Last edited by Orange on 03 Sep 2019 12:05, edited 1 time in total.
Foofy

Post by Foofy »

Orange wrote:
Hunnybunny2007 wrote:
Kellogg was such a gorgeous colour :x
Thank you :) I had never seen an orange rabbit before when we got Kellogg. Like many, my introduction to the world of rabbits was spotting him in a pet shop and thinking: "a rabbit, that will be a really easy pet to look after. Don't they just sit in their cages and do nothing all day?" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kellogg certainly didn't do that :)) :)) yes he was such a beautiful colour. I had a 1/2 orange rex doe before she had the rex fur but her body shape was different to Jinx and she wasn't such a food lover, perhaps its only the bucks that have a thing about food?
I looked after a friend of mines mini Rex doe for a couple of weeks when they went on holiday she wasn't as bad with food either but she was a chewer and an escape artist! :)) :))