Casper - sad news

Binky time, chat about bunnies and their ways.
Foofy

Re: Casper is poorly results back update

Post by Foofy »

I was able to get an poointment with my vet last night when I picked Casper up to view the X-rays. The difference in his lungs is great very, very clearly visible when you compare the last one to this one much better :D :D
The 2 stones he had in one of his kidneys have gone :D :D the extra fluids and cranberry juice worked :D :D He has a possible 3rd stone still in his ureter but the vet isn't 100% if it's a stone or not.
Luckily the vet managed to do the lung was procedure too although it took him an hour to do it and had to try several different ways, but it worked in the end and he has managed to get a sample of the mucus which was sent off to the lab for testing yesterday so results should be back next week sometime.
So it's looking good for Casper :) :) finally some light at the end of the tunnel :) he has now been poorly since the end of January this year :( :(
The vet was very pleased with his progress and said he noticed how much better he looked and how much brighter he seemed and so did all the nurses :D :D

I spent about an hour at the vets discussing the x-rays and his treatment plan. He is now back on Baytril for another month, if the lab results show that a different AB will work better for him we will change it over. He is to continue with Metacam at a bit lower dose and will be coming off the ranitidine and the metaclopramide when I have used up my supply which will be in the next few days. He has to go back for another check up in 3 weeks and then probably some more x-rays at some point to see if the mucus has gone completely. I am going to try and make this at the beginning of September if I can, as he has now gone over the £2,000 limit on his Petplan insurance :( :( so most of yesterdays bill I will have to end up paying :( but on the plus side at least I've got my moneys worth this year out of them :)) :)) and I can then start claiming again when the policy renews on 5.9.15 not bad £2,000 refunded to me this year for his monthly premiums of about £11 and then the £55 excess I had to pay in Feb :D :D

When I brought Casper home last night he started eating greens straight away, then had a drink, then had a wee and a poo what an absolute star he is :) :) this evening he has started eating pellets again he didn't have a good week before this so I am very pleased with him :D :D I am feeling very pleased and breathed a big sigh of relief last night ;) I'm so glad that I have such a fantastic vet I think he's the bees knees :)) :)) felt like giving him a big hug last night =)) =))
Imagenew sig by Sue Gibson, on Flickr
Apache

Re: Casper is poorly - at last good news update

Post by Apache »

Bless him! (Casper and the vet!)

I'm so pleased that there has been such an improvement - it sounds like he's well on the road to recovery now, and so glad that he was waiting happily too :-) x
Rosie's Food Lady

Post by Rosie's Food Lady »

:D :ymparty: :ymapplause: :-bd =)) \:D/ That's such good news I've run out of happy signs! So pleased for you and Casper!
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

I'm so very VERY pleased for Casper ( and for you) :) It's good when you have a good vet. :) Important too that your vet was not too proud to consult with other vets when they met up with a puzzling problem . Kidney stones are alledgedly very painful so Casper must feel better now they have cleared. :) You're lucky that the insurance has covered the costs so far.
sue :)
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
Hunnybunny2007

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

Brilliant news, well done to you both x I hope he now makes a full recovery :)
Foofy

Post by Foofy »

Thanks for the comments :) I forgot to mention that Casper also had another dental whilst under the anesthetic so what with that the lungs etting better and the kidney stones gone he must feel a lot better :D just hoping he won't become a dental bunny now, but hoping now he is feeling better, he will eat a lot of hay to keep his teeth in good shape ;) certainly noticed he has been eating quite a lot of hay this week, good news :) eating pellets again this morning too :) I'll kepp you update on his progress and let you know when the results from the lab are back.
Apache

Post by Apache »

I"m so pleased he's feeling better :D x
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

Pleased Casper is feeling better and seems to have got his appetite back. :)
sue :)
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
Foofy

Re: Casper is poorly - lab results back

Post by Foofy »

The results from the lab are back, the mucus they tested didn't grow anything :) which is good news I think, it means his medication (Baytril) doesn't need to be changed. They did find bacteria in the sample but cannot say for definite if this was from his lungs, as it could possibly be from his mouth as the tube had to go down to his lungs through his mouth obviously :)) the lab have said the likelihood is he has bacterial pneumonia.

Casper is doing well :D he is now only having Metacam & Baytril and I have stopped the other 2 medications (Ranitidine & metoclopramide) he doesn't seem to have had any set backs after coming off these 2 medications another good thing :) he is eating his pellets most of the time and I'm sure he is feeling much better as he has started being a bit naughty! :)) :)) he keeps pulling all the bedding out of their carrier and houses in the run! and he also is not taking too kindly to having the remaining 2 medicines twice a day either and won't sit still and keeps digging in the towel when I try to wrap him up to administer it, it's getting harder and harder to try and make him sit still. I am sure this is because he is feeling much better in himself I would say he is nearly back to normal :D :D
Apache

Post by Apache »

That's brilliant news! It definitely sounds like the lovely Casper is feeling much better :D