Dumped bunnies!

Binky time, chat about bunnies and their ways.
Halfpenny

Dumped bunnies!

Post by Halfpenny »

I hope you don't mind me adding this, but I've just posted it on the halfpenny page!

Ok, I don't often post judgemental or grumpy posts, although we often end up taking in animals because the truth is the owners are fed up, want to get another animal and want rid of the one they have to make space, or don't want to deal with the vet bills or old age of an animal. I don't comment because the deed is done and the animal is safe, at least the owners have found somewhere secure for them. I cannot keep quiet about this as I am truly disgusted by this act.
These 2 bunnies were found dumped, just before Christmas near Tom's Forest, near Kintore, just before Christmas. They were very lucky to be found and cared for by someone who then found out about us and asked if we could help.... Even giving a donation towards their care. They were babies and left at the side of the road in a cage. Can you imagine how scary that must have been for them, can you imagine their chances if they had been there overnight with no protection or shelter.
Even if they had been dumped without a cage, they stood practically no chance of survival!
I know it must be hard when you want to Rehome and animal and all the rescues are full, but dumping is not only illegal but morally wrong! Responsible rescues have to stop taking in more animals when they are full, to continue to do so means they put animals already in care at risk. If we cannot afford food, vet bills and housing, yet continue to take in animals we become part of the problem rather than the solution. We do not want to turn away animals but have to when we don't have the time to care for them.
I am appalled at what has happened to these wee guys and at least they are safe...... however we now need to fund vaccinations and neutering for them, as well as squeeze in and buy more housing. We have 26 rabbits here, these young guys are happy and healthy and should not be in a sanctuary. Please, please educate yourself before buying a pet, rescue an animal rather than buy from a pet shop, find out if you have allergies BEFORE getting an animal, be sure you are committed to caring for it, for the rest of its life, consider what will happen to the animal if you start a family.
I know circumstances change, things happen, but these bunnies were only about 3 months old!

Apache

Re: Dumped bunnies!

Post by Apache »

That a truly awful! I don't know how people can sleep at night doing things like that :-(
Mrs. Bunnykins

Post by Mrs. Bunnykins »

The poor little darlings. Such wicked people in this world.

Thank goodness you have found space for them, and they are safe and sound now.

What beautiful bunnies. :x :x
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

So sad :( - I'm glad you have rescued them :) and hope, as they are young bunnies, perhaps they can be rehomed?
sue :)
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
Hunnybunny2007

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

It's absolutely disgusting, unfortunately I've read about this happening more frequently :(

Thank goodness they were found and now in a very safe environment :)
susie bun

Post by susie bun »

Bless these poor little mites. So glad you have them safe.
Spenser is pondering a new signature...
Halfpenny

Post by Halfpenny »

Great news.
Fairly Beloved are going to take these 2 and Eccles and rehome them, as they are happy healthy boys. Fraggle will be staying because it looks like he has dental issues.
We started a fundraiser on the halfpenny page, and thanks to some fantastic donations we have raised enough money to vaccinate and worn the 2 boys as well as castrate all 3. They will stay here until Fairly beloved can fit them in.
I can't express how overwhelmed I am at the response, and so very grateful and delighted. :)
susie bun

Post by susie bun »

Delighted to see this update. Didn't realise you had as many bunnies at Halfpenny.
Spenser is pondering a new signature...
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

I'm glad Fairly Beloved can take some of the healthy ones for you, as spaces in your Sanctuary are best kept for those unable to be re-homed. :) That's good news. :)
sue :)
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
Foofy

Post by Foofy »

Great news that these 3 can go to Fairly Beloved to find their forever home :D :D
Imagenew sig by Sue Gibson, on Flickr