Rescue rabbit or guinea pig of the month

Binky time, chat about bunnies and their ways.
Becky

Re: Rescue rabbit or guinea pig of the month

Post by Becky »

We'd like to enter Tommy from RSPCA Walsall branch :)

Tommy is a beautiful mini lop male rabbit who arrived in foster care at RSPCA Walsall in a very awful state indeed. I went to collect some guinea pigs from a home (unwanted pets) and whilst there the 'owner' asked me to sex his rabbits. Little Tommy was sat in the corner of the rabbit pen. We sexed all the other bunnies, then Tommy last. As I picked Tommy up I realised something was seriously wrong. He was unresponsive, really floppy. He had nasty bite wounds above his tail, which had become infected and spread up his back and all down his side to under his chin. I urged the owner to sign him over into our care so we could get him emergency veterinary treatment. Tommy was taken straight to the emergency vets, the open wound was cleaned and we came away with metacam and depocillin injections. It took 4 very long weeks of daily antibiotics and abscess cleaning (which was clearly very uncomfortable for little Tommy) before we finally fought it off.

Tommy has since been neutered and vaccinated and was listed for adoption. Tommy went from a petrified rabbit to a confident, bouncy, cheeky little chap. He has so much personality and the trust he has in humans is amazing. I am just in the process of bonding him with his new little friend, Anna, ready to go to his forever home.

Tommy will always have a special place in my heart :x I am certain if we hadn't of taken him he would have died within days.

Slowly improving -

Hunnybunny2007

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

It's lovely to see some bunnies being entered for our rescue rabbit/guinea pig of the month :)
Apache

Post by Apache »

3 lovely entries :)
Captain Helen

Post by Captain Helen »

We received the gift card for Jackie, thank you :) Miss March has now successfully bonded to a lovely little bun called Stanley and gone to her new home :)

Good luck to all the contenders for April! Tommy's story is heartbreaking :( Glad he's safe and better now. Hope his bonding goes well xx
Foofy

Post by Foofy »

Captain Helen wrote:We received the gift card for Jackie, thank you :) Miss March has now successfully bonded to a lovely little bun called Stanley and gone to her new home :)

Good luck to all the contenders for April! Tommy's story is heartbreaking :( Glad he's safe and better now. Hope his bonding goes well xx
Glad you received the gift card all OK :) I'm so pleased to hear our Miss March (Jackie) has been bonded and gone off to a new home with a husbun :D :D great news :)
Imagenew sig by Sue Gibson, on Flickr
Foofy

Post by Foofy »

Thank you to Tameside and RSPCA Walsall for your entries :)

Still time to enter if anymore of our Rescues would like to enter a rabbit/s or guinea pig/s
Imagenew sig by Sue Gibson, on Flickr
bb mommy

Post by bb mommy »

Cherry is a very sweet little seven year old girl who came to us four weeks ago as part of a group of seven rabbits from another rescue that could no longer cope.

Little Cherry arrived with a very obvious cherry eye, but sadly she also had a long standing infection which meant her eye had been weeping constantly, scalding her face.
She also has very poor body condition and needs lots of tlc to improve her life
This picture is a week after Louise had worked her magic, treated the infection, and her skin has started to heal....Image

All of the rabbits had been kept singly in rather small accommodation, but that would all change for her at Hopper Haven where their quality of life is paramount.

Cherry was bonded with the lovely Primrose who had arrived with her, and who she had lived close to at the other rescue. They were an instant hit and whilst Cherry leant on Primrose for support and comfort, Primrose helped Cherry by grooming her poorly eye.
We also introduced one of our recently bereaved bucks, Eric, into the mix, and it was love, love, love!

This shows the trio in one of the bonding cagesImage

And this is the trio in their new shed/enclosure set up, in a bunny pile

And the lovely lady herself

At her vet check last week the vet confirmed that removal of the cherry eye should be straightforward, but her body condition needs to improve first.

Cherry will now have a home for life with us, with the treatment that she needs, and companions to lean on :-)
Last edited by bb mommy on 24 Mar 2015 16:03, edited 1 time in total.

Hopper Haven Sanctuary www.hopperhaven.org.uk
bb mommy

Post by bb mommy »

All the photos have cut off the right hand side. I'll need to get on another device to resubmit y them....

Hopper Haven Sanctuary www.hopperhaven.org.uk
Furry_Friends

Post by Furry_Friends »

We would like to enter our little Thimble <3

We were asked to take a female rabbit as the previous owners said they were having the male put to sleep. We asked why and they told us it was because he had bad teeth and didn't want to keep getting dentals done. We offered to take both rabbits and they agreed.

This is Thimble, a mini lop. As you can see, his teeth are misaligned and were causing sores on his tongue and lip.

We had his front teeth removed and he is doing very well now.

Here is an x-ray of Thimble. The line drawn by the vet is where his roots should stop. As you can see, they are growing higher than they should be. However, now he has had his front teeth removed, his back teeth should improve too.

Here is Thimble with his wife. He is doing well at the moment, but isn't ready to be rehomed just yet. When he is ready, these two will need a home together.

bunnybunny

Post by bunnybunny »

All so Lovely, I love seeing the entries!!! :x