Rescue rabbit or guinea pig of the month

Binky time, chat about bunnies and their ways.
chloaster

Re: Rescue rabbit or guinea pig of the month

Post by chloaster »

Fat Fluffs would like to nominate Rupert as 'rabbit of the month!'
Rupert is an Angora cross, which means his fur is very much like little cobwebs and can be high maintenance to look after. He came to us in bad shape and had to have a lot of his beautiful fur shaved off due to matting! After much consideration Fat Fluffs decided the best thing for Rupert was to keep him as a permanent resident in our bonded group of Sanctuary bunnies, to ensure the proper care of his coat and to manage his sometimes naughty behaviour tendencies!
Unfortunately for Rupert a few years ago he was diagnosed with jaw cancer and we don't really know how long we have left with him. Despite this he is doing astonishingly well and time after time he keeps surprising the vets! Due to the jaw cancer, Rupert has a small part of his jaw missing and sometimes has abscesses form. Rupert is on daily medication, (which he is very good about I might add!) to maintain his condition, helping to keep the abscesses at bay and keep him in tip top nibbling mode! He eats really well and has an amazing quality of life. Anyone who has visited Fat Fluffs will tell you that Rupert is like a little minion as he absolutely loves bananas! If he sees you come into the garden and you've got a banana, he does 0-60 in about 2 seconds and he'll either try to be your best friend or he'll try and steal it from you!
Being bonded into a big group, Rupert's partner in crime is Bert one of our other sanctury buns, seen in the picture below. You'll often see them running about the garden and causing michieve in the hay bales!
Rupert is quite a cheeky boy and will often have a good nibble of your coat when he's having a groom or his medicine. I think he's chewed through 8 of my coats! He let's you know when he's had enough as he starts throwing things off the medicine table at you which include: pens, food bowls, mobile phones... Basically whatever he can get his chops on! But it always makes us chuckle. He's going soft in his old age and we love him and his cheeky side dearly, as you can see from the pictures he's just absoultey adorable- how can you not!!?
Rupert certainly keeps us on our toes and is just such a special character. He really is such a big part of the Fat Fluffs family and we are so glad to have him with us. :)
Attachments
Giving himself a good little wash after getting a little wet!
Giving himself a good little wash after getting a little wet!
Sitting in the rain!.jpg (98.71 KiB) Viewed 588 times
Rupert ready for a groom, having just rolled in sawdust...
Rupert ready for a groom, having just rolled in sawdust...
Sawdust!.jpg (90.35 KiB) Viewed 588 times
Bert and Rupert chilling out!
Bert and Rupert chilling out!
B and R.jpg (89.09 KiB) Viewed 588 times
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

Good luck to Oscar , Troy, Merry and Bailey for entries for Feb Rabbit of the Month, and to Rupert for March entry. :)
...all such lovely rabbits needing much care and interesting stories.
It gives an insight into some of the work the rescues do, so thank you all for posting.
sue :)
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
tabithakat64

Post by tabithakat64 »

Imagezabi by tabithakat64, on Flickr

Rabbit Residence Rescue would like to nominate Zabi for rescue bunny of the month.

Zabi came to us heavily pregnant covered in wee having lived in a 3ft hutch with another buck and her son from a previous litter, they were not fed a suitable diet and were never given hay :( They were also being picked up by their ears :( despite this she is a lovely, sweet bunny. Poor Zabi has patches of fur missing from continuously being mounted. On Saturday after an anxious wait, she gave birth to four babies.
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

tabithakat64 wrote:Imagezabi by tabithakat64, on Flickr

Rabbit Residence Rescue would like to nominate Zabi for rescue bunny of the month.

Zabi came to us heavily pregnant covered in wee having lived in a 3ft hutch with another buck and her son from a previous litter, they were not fed a suitable diet and were never given hay :( They were also being picked up by their ears :( despite this she is a lovely, sweet bunny. Poor Zabi has patches of fur missing from continuously being mounted. On Saturday after an anxious wait, she gave birth to four babies.
Oh poor Zabi :( I do hope she and her babies will be Ok, and glad that you have rescued her.Good luck Zabi in the draw for March.
sue
chloaster

Post by chloaster »

sdf76 wrote:Good luck to Oscar , Troy, Merry and Bailey for entries for Feb Rabbit of the Month, and to Rupert for March entry. :)
...all such lovely rabbits needing much care and interesting stories.
It gives an insight into some of the work the rescues do, so thank you all for posting.
Thank you Sue! Best of luck to the February buns :) All worthy winners! :)
Foofy

Post by Foofy »

The Pledge a Pound Team have now chosen the winner of the Rescue Rabbit of the month for March and it is Oscar from Southampton Rabbit Rescue see his story and photos below.

Oscar wins a £20.00 supermarket gift card for the Rescue to buy him and the other bunnies some goodies.

Southampton Rescue wrote: Oscar is 9 years old and he's a chocolate & white mini lop. He came to the Centre from a breeder when he was no longer required :(
He came in with a small abscess which up until now has remained static. We've been treating him for the past 2 months for a corneal ulcer which bled into his eye. He nearly lost it!! Then the abscess tripled in size over a weekend. Vets feel his immune system was compromised and so the abscess took hold and grew.. So very recently he had to have an operation to remove the abscess.

Oscar is one of the permanent sanctuary animals at the Rescue and he lives in the hospital building with all the other permanent residents.

Here he is after his operation
Imagenew sig by Sue Gibson, on Flickr
Southampton Rescue

Post by Southampton Rescue »

Oscar here!! The bunnies and I would like to say a BIG thank you for the tesco voucher... we've decided on lots of nice veggies and some cranberries especially for me. xxxxx
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

Southampton Rescue wrote:Oscar here!! The bunnies and I would like to say a BIG thank you for the tesco voucher... we've decided on lots of nice veggies and some cranberries especially for me. xxxxx
Congratulations Oscar! :)
Foofy

Post by Foofy »

As we have now announced the winner of the Rescue Rabbit/Guinea Pig of the month for March - Oscar from Southampton Rabbit Rescue, we are now opening up this thread for entries for the April Rescue Rabbit/Guinea Pig of the Month.

All our 21 Rescues are welcome to enter, even if you have won before. Your entry must include the animal/s story and at least 1 photo (but more is good), you have until midnight on 31st March to get your entries in here. Entries can only be accepted from the 21 Rescues/Sanctuaries that Pledge a Pound supports, and must be placed as a reply to this thread.

Your entry can be a single rabbit or guinea pig, or it can be a pair or group that live together.

The winner will be chosen by the Pledge a Pound Team at the beginning of April and will win a £20.00 supermarket gift card for the Rescue to buy greens, herbs, supplies etc for the winner and the other animals at their Rescue :)

If anyone needs help uploading photos to the forum please let me know.
Foofy

Post by Foofy »

Thank you to Fat Fluffs for entering Rupert and The Rabbit Residence Rescue for entering Zabi :)

If any of the other Rescues would like to enter you have until midnight on 31st March to get your entries in.