keeping warm in winter

Binky time, chat about bunnies and their ways.
poppymoon

keeping warm in winter

Post by poppymoon »

i know its not proper winter yet but i've never had outside bunnies during the colder months before and i'm starting to panic a bit as to whether they're warm enough.

the hutch is well insulated and covered and i cram plenty of hay in for them to snuggle into - yet they still choose to sit on top of a bare wooden shelf instead :roll:

am i worrying over nothing?
Pomandri

Re: keeping warm in winter

Post by Pomandri »

I only do what you have done and my guys seem quite happy but, like yours, they seem to prefer not to snuggle down. I work on the assumption that if I provide them hay and beds then if they're really cold they would use them.

I do add a couple of Snugglesafes when the temperature is due to drop below freezing.

I did use to bring them in if it got really cold, i.e. -5 or colder, but was told that it's better to keep them out regardless of the temperature as they can get used to being warmer and then feel the cold more than they would otherwise.

It is hard though when it's bitterly cold and I'm warm and cosy in the house and know that they're out in the freezing cold.
Honey61

Post by Honey61 »

Tigger does exactly the same... sits on the shelf :roll:
They will snuggle down if they are cold & provided they are out of drafts & not damp, they will be fine. I use my snuggle safes when the temp really dips & for prolonged spells too.
If they get wet I just make sure I towel them off before tucking them in for the night... Tigger is a devil for laying in a puddle/snow :lol:
poppymoon

Post by poppymoon »

thanks guys - i don't feel so bad now!

i think that knowing they were outside last night (securely snuggled in), i had the heating on in here - esme was snoozing under the kitchen radiator and eric was full stretch at my feet made me feel sooooo guilty.