Just theoretically...

Binky time, chat about bunnies and their ways.
tiger_lily

Just theoretically...

Post by tiger_lily »

How easy is it to add a third rabbit to an existing pair? Would a male or female be better to join to a male-female pair?

I'm half considering getting a third rabbit because we have the space and the money, but I don't want to break the close bond that Oscar and Jessie have. What advice/experience does everyone else have?

Lots of handmade items for sale at http://craftywarren.weebly.com
Blackberry

Re: Just theoretically...

Post by Blackberry »

From what I've heard it's better to add another female to a male female pair. Personally I'm pants at even bonding a pair, so no good advice from me, sadly :ymblushing:
fluffers

Post by fluffers »

I would say talk to the rescue you are considering adopting from (assuming that is the case). They may even be able to help with the bonding process :-h
tiger_lily

Post by tiger_lily »

fluffers wrote:I would say talk to the rescue you are considering adopting from (assuming that is the case). They may even be able to help with the bonding process :-h
I haven't started looking for another rabbit yet and it wouldn't be until after christmas at any rate because I am staying with my parents for a couple of weeks. It would be from a rescue definitely!

I'm just trying to find out what people's opinions and experiences are at the moment. Oscar and Jessie have a really close bond and are practically always together, so I wouldn't want to ruin that

Lots of handmade items for sale at http://craftywarren.weebly.com
Mrs. Bunnykins

Post by Mrs. Bunnykins »

I've always just had pairs, but no doubt someone else will be able to offer some first hand advice.

Oscar and Jessie do look so happy together. Difficult decision to make. :-?

Best of luck.
Hopper Holidays

Post by Hopper Holidays »

4 are better than 3 then nobody gets left out ;)
Mam to Midnight, Alfie, Tilly, Buzz, Lady, Taye
Foster mam to Gus and Jack

www.hopperholidays.co.uk
Bunnyaddict

Post by Bunnyaddict »

We've had male, male & female trio's & also female, female & male trio - I have to say for us there hasn't been much difference either way. I would say go for it if you want to give it a try but go through a rescue & see if they can bond for you - that way if it doesn't work out, you're not left with potentially a single bun as well as Jessie & Oscar ;) Unless of course you would keep a bunny single anyway :)

Good luck & let us know what you decide :)
holidayhutch

Post by holidayhutch »

We have a male, female female trio and he erm sort of wife swaps and they erm sort of go together too, so all in all seems to be bit of a party going on. :)) It was a very easy bond though and they were grooming and sharing a tray of hay within 15 minutes, no aggression at all.
Hunnybunny2007

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

I think it's all down to the rabbits and what their temperament is like. My Maverick and Smudge would bond with anything and anyone :x Like Fluffers said I would look to a rescue and see if they will help you - good luck x
*Red*

Post by *Red* »

tiger_lily wrote:How easy is it to add a third rabbit to an existing pair? Would a male or female be better to join to a male-female pair?

I'm half considering getting a third rabbit because we have the space and the money, but I don't want to break the close bond that Oscar and Jessie have. What advice/experience does everyone else have?
I'm really glad you asked this.... because I've been thinking the same...