Good hints & tips for bunnies

Binky time, chat about bunnies and their ways.
Foofy

Re: Good hints & tips for bunnies

Post by Foofy »

loppy ears wrote:The cardboard from loo rolls make good disposable scrapers when cleaning out litter trays.
That's a good idea I haven't tried that one :) although I do save all the loo and kitchen roll tubes and make them into treat balls and stuff with SS pellets and then give a bag full to my local Southampton Rabbit Rescue :)
Imagenew sig by Sue Gibson, on Flickr
Rabswood

Post by Rabswood »

On the bale of hay topic. I get bales from the farm at £3 each so save a fortune. I get two at a time and store in the garage.

My tip is:
Collect and store bales of hay from the farm in single duvet covers it helps to keep it from getting everywhere.
Mummy to the Rabsville Bunnies

Pledge a Pound Jewellery10% Pot Total £4.00
Donated via paypal 8/11/13

Oxo Rabswood a little fighter!
Foofy

Post by Foofy »

Rabswood wrote:On the bale of hay topic. I get bales from the farm at £3 each so save a fortune. I get two at a time and store in the garage.

My tip is:
Collect and store bales of hay from the farm in single duvet covers it helps to keep it from getting everywhere.
Wow that's a brilliant idea to keep and store hay bales in a duvet cover I never thought of that before but will definitely give it a go. I currently use 2 wheelie bin liners and cover each end but still end up getting it eveywhere!!
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

Foofy wrote:
Bunnies don't like it in the heat, they have frozen 2 litre plastic bottles to keep them cool!
that's a good tip Foofy
sue :)
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
Blackberry

Post by Blackberry »

I may need to get a couple of duvet covers to store my hay - it seems to explode everywhere :))
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

loppy ears wrote:The cardboard from loo rolls make good disposable scrapers when cleaning out litter trays.
I like this tip loppy ears. :)
Also if you want a bunny to start using a brand new litter tray, clean it with pet disinfectant first as they will be more keen to leave their own smell and make it their own.
Foofy

Post by Foofy »

Blackberry wrote:I may need to get a couple of duvet covers to store my hay - it seems to explode everywhere :))
I know what you mean :)) I bought another Asda smartprice one last weekend so I now have 2, one for the hay bale and one for the straw bale, it's brilliant much less mess :) you also get 1 pillow case with the duvet cover, which I have been using to put the frozen water bottles inside to keep the bunnies cool in this hot weather, I now need the spare one as an old one I had which I was using has now very kindly been shredded and is all in strips! :)) I think as it was an old one and on the thin side the bunnies have been using it to dig in while they keep cool! Bargain duvet cover and 1 pillow case for about £4.70 I think it was, I now don't need to bother buying any more wheelie bin liners either :)
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

When buying litter trays look for ones with rounded edges like this

as the ones with ridged edges inside the rim are harder to clean

Foofy

Post by Foofy »

sdf76 wrote:When buying litter trays look for ones with rounded edges like this

as the ones with ridged edges inside the rim are harder to clean

Thank you for that tip, great idea :)
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

Are you have problems injecting your rabbit?

Do you find it's really hard to get the needle into bunny?

If so, then the blue needles they normally give you, may be getting blunt when you try to draw out the medication? -Ask your vets for the green needles to draw the medication out then you can swop the green needle for a newblue needle onto the syringe, which will be nice and sharp for painless injection. :) (but remember to get the air out of the syringe before injecting)