Good hints & tips for bunnies

Binky time, chat about bunnies and their ways.
Foofy

Good hints & tips for bunnies

Post by Foofy »

Anyone got any good hints and tips for rabbits? Can be time saving ideas, money saving ideas, things you make for your rabbits, or just little tips you have learned over the years that work well for you and your rabbits.

If you have any tips you'd like to share with us for the benefit of all our Rescues and members please post your reply to this thread with you tips and hints. THANK YOU :)
Imagenew sig by Sue Gibson, on Flickr
Foofy

Re: Good hints & tips for bunnies

Post by Foofy »

OK I'll start off with a few ideas that I discovered for myself which may come in useful for people.

If you use water bottles on cages, runs, carriers etc I have found it is sometimes difficult to get them to attach properly with the wire fixing that you get with most of them. If you find a thickish elastic band and put it round the water bottle and take 2 paper clips and thread them through the elastic band and then fix to your cage this is much more flexible and will fit onto any type of cage wire :)

If your rabbit is on medication (prescribed by your Vet) specifically Metacam pain relief and or Avipro (pro & prebiotic) if you drop the required dose of drops onto a curled Basil leaf and then give to rabbit. Mine all love Basil and eat them no problem with the medicine on. If on Avipro powder if you put the powder onto the basil leaf and then add a drop or two of water and mix up to a paste with your finger then feed to your rabbit. All my rabbits will eat the basil leaves with Metacam or Avipro on as I believe all 3 have a nice taste for bunnies.
susie bun

Post by susie bun »

Treat balls (especially good if for any reason you have single bun needing extra stimulation). I make Spenser treatballs from sliced up inners of kitchen roll. You need to take care that the bun doesn't eat the cardboard though.
Spenser is pondering a new signature...
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

Thanks for the hints and tips Foofy and Susie bun.
:-bd
My tip is ...If you need to clean a bunny (eyes or bum ) those oval cotton wool pads that you use to remove make-up are ideal when dampened with lukewarm water.
Not as cheap as plain cotton wool roll but much easier to use. :)
sue :)
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
Foofy

Post by Foofy »

sdf76 wrote:Thanks for the hints and tips Foofy and Susie bun.
:-bd
My tip is ...If you need to clean a bunny (eyes or bum ) those oval cotton wool pads that you use to remove make-up are ideal when dampened with lukewarm water.
Not as cheap as plain cotton wool roll but much easier to use. :)
Thanks for the tip about the cotton wool pads, I used to use them for cleaning one of my buns bottoms and they do work well :) I also used to use baby wipes to get some of the poo off if you don't want to get the bottom wet :)
Rabswood

Post by Rabswood »

If you think your bunny is not drinking enough water. Try 1 third cranberry juice and 2 thirds water as a treat. Most of my buns enjoy this and Oxo Rabswood had it on a regular basis to dilute the strength of his wee to avoid wee scald as he was disabled.
Mummy to the Rabsville Bunnies

Pledge a Pound Jewellery10% Pot Total £4.00
Donated via paypal 8/11/13

Oxo Rabswood a little fighter!
Blackberry

Post by Blackberry »

My tip is, if you have somewhere to store it, buy bales of hay rather than bags :)

We used to spend a fortune on bagged hay - even getting it from The Range (£4 a bag) rather than the pet shop (£6 a bag) we were getting through 2 bags a week, so at least £30 a month on hay!!! We were looking for a local Aubiose supplier, and found a farm feeds supplier not too far away who deliver (50 pence an item, 6+ items free delivery) and asked if they did hay too - £5.50 for a whole bale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A bale lasts 3 - 4 weeks - have saved a fortune!!!!!
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

Blackberry wrote:My tip is, if you have somewhere to store it, buy bales of hay rather than bags :)

We used to spend a fortune on bagged hay - even getting it from The Range (£4 a bag) rather than the pet shop (£6 a bag) we were getting through 2 bags a week, so at least £30 a month on hay!!! We were looking for a local Aubiose supplier, and found a farm feeds supplier not too far away who deliver (50 pence an item, 6+ items free delivery) and asked if they did hay too - £5.50 for a whole bale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A bale lasts 3 - 4 weeks - have saved a fortune!!!!!
Yes - my daughter normally buys the bales but the bunnies are staying with me for the next few months and I have been buying bags at £5.50 a time :( Doesn't last long with 4 bunnies- I really must source a local hay bale supplier.

Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
Hunnybunny2007

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

Rabswood wrote:If you think your bunny is not drinking enough water. Try 1 third cranberry juice and 2 thirds water as a treat. Most of my buns enjoy this and Oxo Rabswood had it on a regular basis to dilute the strength of his wee to avoid wee scald as he was disabled.
Thank you for this tip, I will try it with Maverick, he's not as agile now and sometimes sits in his wee :(
loppy ears

Post by loppy ears »

The cardboard from loo rolls make good disposable scrapers when cleaning out litter trays.