Sweetpea's story

Furry_Friends

Sweetpea's story

Post by Furry_Friends »

Sweetpea is an approx 5 year old rabbit handed into rescue.
She had a nasty abscess on her side that had developed over a long period of time and the owner could not afford the vet fees, so she made the decision to hand her into rescue so that she could be treated.
We decided that Sweetpea's treatment could not wait and when the vet saw the problem, he was very unsure that he could help her as the lump was so large and possibly invading her chest cavity.
We only put animals to sleep as a last resort and if they are suffering with no alternative, so of course we asked that the vet at least try and save her life.

After a very worrying day, we got the call that Sweetpea had come through the operation.
When operating, the vet discovered that the abscess was actually a large amount of abscesses that had seeded from the original one. He had to scrape it off of her rib cage, but luckily, even though it was an extremely delicate operation, particularly when it came to removing the lump safely without perforating her diaphragm which would have caused her death, he managed to remove the whole lot as one large lump.

Once healed she will have to go back to be spayed/vaccinated, but one step at a time and she will need to recover from this first!

There are some graphic photos of her on our facebook page, but I warn you, they aren't pretty!
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 128&type=3

She is now doing well and we hope she continues to do so :)

bunnybunny

Re: Sweetpea's story

Post by bunnybunny »

Flipping heck, I looked on your Facebook page and saw your photos. First off, Amazing vet! Second, how Sweetpea came through this I will never know!!!

Will paypal a donation for Sweetpea, I always have a soft spot for a Sweetpea, having had a Bunny for 12 years by the same name.

Great job FurryFriends you guys deserve a medal!!! xxx

p.s paypal donation made
Furry_Friends

Post by Furry_Friends »

bunnybunny wrote:Flipping heck, I looked on your Facebook page and saw your photos. First off, Amazing vet! Second, how Sweetpea came through this I will never know!!!

Will paypal a donation for Sweetpea, I always have a soft spot for a Sweetpea, having had a Bunny for 12 years by the same name.

Great job FurryFriends you guys deserve a medal!!! xxx

p.s paypal donation made
That's really kind of you. We will use the money for her future medication. She's on antibiotics and painkillers at the moment, and is back to the vets next week for her stitches to be removed.

Our vet really is amazing!
Furry_Friends

Post by Furry_Friends »

sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

Furry_Friends wrote:Now looking for a home!

http://pledgeapound.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5707
I'm so pleased the beautiful Sweetpea came through her ordeal OK and wish her luck in finding a new home. :)
sue :)
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
Furry_Friends

Post by Furry_Friends »

Really sad news. Sweetpea had a sudden decline today, so we took her to the vets and it turns out the abscesses have spread internally. Even though the large one was removed, it was already too late. She wasn't a happy girl, so we made the decision to let her go :( If only her original abscess was sorted sooner, they wouldn't have seeded and spread.
Sleep tight little angel xxx
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

how very sad- :( I'm sorry for your loss.
RIP Sweetpea
sue x
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
Hunnybunny2007

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

So sad :( Binky free Sweetpea x