Fundraiser for Herbie at Southampton Rabbit Rescue

Foofy

Fundraiser for Herbie at Southampton Rabbit Rescue

Post by Foofy »

I am appealing for donations or new sponsors for Herbie at Southampton Rabbit Rescue in Hampshire, Herbie is a 2year old French Lop who will stay at the centre due to his health problems. As you can see from his story below Herbie has several health problems and is being treated at the moment with possible surgery coming up on his eye. If you would like to send a donation for Herbie you can do so by visiting Southampton Rabbit Rescue's website and clicking on the 'sponsorship' heading on the left hand side and then click on the donate button to donate by Paypal. You can also send a cheque for the address and payee please PM me. Here's the link to their website:- http://www.southamptonrabbitrescue.org.uk/default.html

Southampton Rabbit Rescue also operate a very good sponsorship scheme for some of their bunnies that cannot be re-homed due to health or behavioural problems. Each sponsor will receive a “portfolio” containing:-
Photograph of your chosen bunny
Factsheet
History of Southampton Rabbit Rescue
Certificate
Christmas Card
Full details of the scheme and the rabbits on it are under the sponsorship heading on their website. If you are local or are able to visit the centre Sue does encourage sponsors to visit their bunny to meet them and have cuddles :) obviously you would need to make an appointment though.

Here's his story told by Sue at the Rescue:-

I was asked to look at a bunny who had a strange shaped face - Herbie arrived!! He came to me in the Summer of 2010 with a golf ball size abscess on his right cheek. (We were only supposed to be looking after him until he recovered from surgery!!!)

I took him to work and we x-rayed to see the damage, surgery was performed to remove the absscess hoping it was capsulated (not connected to jaw bone etc) sadly it was so i knew it would come back. I was asked if i wanted him put to sleep and said no. He came home here to recover and on medication. Plan was for about 1 month. The abscess came back 3 times in that month :( :(

It seemed the only option was the sad one until the vet suggested depocillian (Penicilan based) so i went for it. 3 course of injection over 10 days. The third time we had to stop the course early due to diarrhoea. This was his last chance if it came back again - no option but PTS.

Well things started to improve, he was having daily lancing of the absscess, i had to use sterlilised water and syringes to open it each day and clean it. (it was disgusting - the smell!!) gradually the hole got smaller and the pus less. Well by the start of last year the hole had virtually vanished. Then by April it had gone and touch wood has not returned.

Herbie has been doing so well since his abscess, but unfortunately he now needs further surgery which the centre is saving up for. His eye lids on his left eye are growing inwards causing irritation and infection. Vet thinks it will be complicated because it's both eyelids that are growing inwards.
Well Herbie went in for surgery on his eye on Tuesday 20th March, the vet gave him some eye drops to numb the eye and gradually over 5 minutes the eye returned to normal. So the vet wasn't happy to perform surgery yet until we have run out of other options. So tomorrow he starts a course of antibiotics and a human eye drop. If no change in 2 weeks we will have no choice but to perform the surgery.

Here's his pictures:-

Please note this fundraiser for the lovely Herbie is being run by Southampton Rabbit Rescue direct and NOT through Pledge a Pound. Therefore if you would like to donate, donations should be sent to the rescue direct and not PaP's Paypal. If you would like to donate by Paypal please can you gift the money so no deductions are taken out by Paypal. Any donations at all will be greatly appreciated by Herbie no matter how small :)
Imagenew sig by Sue Gibson, on Flickr
susie bun

Re: Fundraiser for Herbie at Southampton Rabbit Rescue

Post by susie bun »

What a lovely boy. :x
Spenser is pondering a new signature...