Gulliver's Travels 2013 thread!

Blackberry

Re: Gulliver's Travels 2013 thread!

Post by Blackberry »

Thanks for the pic, Mr G :D I showed your sisters, and the fell about laughing :))

Looks like you are having a fab time :-bd
Orange

Post by Orange »

We popped into the Museum of Financial History, which was very (-| I didn't even bother getting out of the rucksack!

We also visited the New Museum of Modern Art. Not sure about the exhibits but I did spot a rather tasty rooftop vegetable garden on a neighbouring tower block. So I made a running hop and leapt into the air (hollywood stylee)...and was caught by J :))

Hunnybunny2007

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

Mr G - what a norty photo :)) :))
Orange

Post by Orange »

Hunnybunny2007 wrote:Mr G - what a norty photo :)) :))
He is a bad bunny :))
Orange

Post by Orange »

This is our last full day in New York. We decided to visit the 9/11 Memorial. J tells me she remembers going to the restaurant at the top of the North Tower. She was in NY about a month after the attack on the Towers and has watched the rebirth of the area in the subsequent years. Whatever one may feel about the related politics and ongoing military situations, one can't help be touched by the lives that were ended that day. Ordinary people, who just went to work as usual, never got to go home again. New York is still deeply affected by that day and permanent memorials and museums have been set up as a way to record what happened.

We thought you might be interested to see the permanent memorials that have been erected:

Where the two towers stood, have been made into infinity fountains. The names of all those who died that day, in the planes and on the ground are recorded around the edge.
Orange

Post by Orange »

A couple of the churches near Ground Zero became impromtu rescue and rest stations. St. Paul's Chapel still contains many mementos from the time. We thought you might like this one:

Can you see what is on top? That's right, it's a British bobby's helemt :)

Orange

Post by Orange »

So that's it from our visit to New York. Hope you have enjoyed the photos. See you all back in Blighty. :D

Always time for one last cocktail!!
Orange

Post by Orange »

I hope everyone enjoyed the photos of New York and no one was offended by the 9/11 memorial ones. :)

Gulliver is ready for his next adventure! :D Where is he going next?? Anyone booked the G Man B-)
Hunnybunny2007

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

The 9/11 photos gave me goose bumps, I think it's good to remember, like you said so many ordinary people doing ordinary things lost their lives that day - very sad :(

Thank you and Justine for giving us a lovely view of New York, have a safe journey home :)
bunlover

Post by bunlover »

Lovely pictures Gulliver you travel so well and so far! "X