sdf76

why Guinea pigs should not live in with Rabbits

Post by sdf76 »

sue :)
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
Apache

Re: why Guinea pigs should not live in with Rabbits

Post by Apache »

A friend told me the other days that they over heard a conversation in Pets at Home where they refused to sell a rabbit to so somebody who wanted to keep it with a guinea pig.
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

Apache wrote:A friend told me the other days that they over heard a conversation in Pets at Home where they refused to sell a rabbit to so somebody who wanted to keep it with a guinea pig.
oh that's good :-bd
bunnybunny

Post by bunnybunny »

Thank you for this!!! I've just had to search and knew I had seen it some where. Went to the local pet shop and bunnies and guinea pigs housed together, so I spoke to the shop owner who told me if I tell her five reasons why they shouldn't be together she would separate them. So I will print this out and take it to her.
xxx
Hunnybunny2007

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

bunnybunny wrote:Thank you for this!!! I've just had to search and knew I had seen it some where. Went to the local pet shop and bunnies and guinea pigs housed together, so I spoke to the shop owner who told me if I tell her five reasons why they shouldn't be together she would separate them. So I will print this out and take it to her.
xxx
Well done for bringing it to her attention, I hope she takes notice :)

These were living together, prior to coming to me :( http://pledgeapound.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4914
bunnybunny

Post by bunnybunny »

Flopsy and Ginger are adorable!!! :x :x Thanks so much for this Sue, I'm going to check again next week (see if there has been any change) and I'll print this out (if that's okay with you) to show the pet shop owner. So annoying as they are right next door to a vet practice, but Swedes aren't very educated when it comes to housing etc when it comes to rabbits/guinea pigs. So flyers like this fantastic to print out and leave at vet's and the one and only pet store in town.
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

I think the misunderstanding comes from guinea pigs who are happily paired with rabbits (because they are so lonely they are happy to have a friend of a any species) but many don't understand the health risks to the guinea pig from disease and wrong diet. Also even if the rabbit is really docile and unlikely to mount the guinea pig, the rabbit could accidentally injure the guinea pig with it's normal kicking and jumping beacuse the guinea pig is so much smaller.
I do hope your vet and pet shop take notice bunnybunny. :)
Hunnybunny2007

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

bunnybunny wrote:Flopsy and Ginger are adorable!!! :x :x Thanks so much for this Sue, I'm going to check again next week (see if there has been any change) and I'll print this out (if that's okay with you) to show the pet shop owner. So annoying as they are right next door to a vet practice, but Swedes aren't very educated when it comes to housing etc when it comes to rabbits/guinea pigs. So flyers like this fantastic to print out and leave at vet's and the one and only pet store in town.
:-bd
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

Just a reminder to anyone thinking of getting a guinea pig as a pal for their rabbit( or vice versa).
If you know of any pet shops housing the two species together perhaps you could print the poster out and show them as bunnybunny did?
Rabswood

Post by Rabswood »

Great poster, will see if I can copy and paste to facebook.
Mummy to the Rabsville Bunnies

Pledge a Pound Jewellery10% Pot Total £4.00
Donated via paypal 8/11/13

Oxo Rabswood a little fighter!