:( :( I wonder how many guinea pigs are now in rescues :(
honeybunny

Re: Unwanted Pigs UPdate 16/03 :(

Post by honeybunny »

too many :(
holidayhutch

Post by holidayhutch »

It's such a sad situation. I've taken in 2 here from somone who bought 2 from a childrens farm and they were misexed. Landed up with 7 pigs (2 litters) which they just couldn't cope with or afford to keep. I've now sexed them all and the boys have been neutered which was the cheaper option for them to deal with. They are keeping a group of 3, managed to rehome a pair to family and the 2 here will be going to rescue for rehoming once there is room.
Foofy

Post by Foofy »

Oh dear this is sad news people giving up their piggies. Why do you think this is happening is it because of money issues?
Imagenew sig by Sue Gibson, on Flickr
honeybunny

Post by honeybunny »

Foofy wrote:Oh dear this is sad news people giving up their piggies. Why do you think this is happening is it because of money issues?
sadly no
I think the problem with all types of pet is the kind of "must have" society we live in. when I was a child, and it wasn't that long ago!..I lived in a street of about 120 houses. There were only 2 dogs on the whole street who were known by all..still remember them Trixie and Cocoa..How many streets of 120 houses would only have 2 dogs now?

Now everyone wants everything..or 2 of everything..or a bigger eveything than their friends..whether they have room for it, have time for it, or can afford it. animals have fallen into the material possession catergory, to be got on a whim and discarded on another.
Until strong and enforced legislation is brought in to limit the number of pets, things will only get worse :(
Mrs. Bunnykins

Post by Mrs. Bunnykins »

honeybunny wrote:
Foofy wrote:Oh dear this is sad news people giving up their piggies. Why do you think this is happening is it because of money issues?
sadly no
I think the problem with all types of pet is the kind of "must have" society we live in. when I was a child, and it wasn't that long ago!..I lived in a street of about 120 houses. There were only 2 dogs on the whole street who were known by all..still remember them Trixie and Cocoa..How many streets of 120 houses would only have 2 dogs now?

Now everyone wants everything..or 2 of everything..or a bigger eveything than their friends..whether they have room for it, have time for it, or can afford it. animals have fallen into the material possession catergory, to be got on a whim and discarded on another.
Until strong and enforced legislation is brought in to limit the number of pets, things will only get worse :(
I totally agree with what you've said honeybunny.

It's a sad world.
honeybunny

Post by honeybunny »

the good news is 3 piggies went to a fab new home yesterday and the lady is having one of our boars when he has done his post neuter time :)
Mrs. Bunnykins

Post by Mrs. Bunnykins »

Oooooh that's good news. Wonderful. :) :) :)

I'd love to have a group of around 4/5. Perhaps one day............ :-? :-?

For the time being I have OAP'S Trilby 5 1/2 and Peggy 6 1/2. :x :x :x
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

honeybunny wrote:the good news is 3 piggies went to a fab new home yesterday and the lady is having one of our boars when he has done his post neuter time :)
Brilliant news :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd
honeybunny

Post by honeybunny »

and more good news Jura, now re named Blossom, has gone to join Jo's herd today :D